Chicha de Kuna!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curtis2010

Reaction score
Wow, what a great experience today!

We are anchored in the Robenson island group of the San Blas islands of Panama. The San Blas Islands (Guna Yala in the Kuna language) are the semi-autonamous territory of the Kuna indians. They are one of the few indigenous peoples who have managed to maintain their culture and territory in modern times.

We have been visiting this island group over the past 5 years and made some local Kuna friends here. As a result, today we were invitited to a Kuna Chicha Ceremony (we were the only non-Kuna there).

There are various reasons the Kuna have these ceremonies, one is girls coming of age, another is just...well...we made a big batch of chicha and lets have a party! [emoji38] Today was the later.

The Kunas make their chicha from sugar cane juice (unlike other Central American chichas which are mostly corn based). They add coffee beans to give it a darker color and additional flavor, and maybe some sugar to bump up the alcohol content. The result is quite tasty and potent.

The chicha is made in large clay pots. In this case 2 big pots of about 10 gallons each and goes thru a natural open fermentation...no yeast added.

During the ceremony the entire village gathers in the meeting hall (a long building of cane and thatch with a dirt floor), the dignitaries of the village, and maybe some from surrounding villlages, do a little song & dance ceremony of presenting and drinking the chicha amonst themselves and then they serve the rest of the attendees...the entire village...who are segregated into men & women into different areas of the meeting hall. There is a brief intermission...and then it starts all over again...wash, rinse, repeat until all the chicha is gone!

The chicha is served in bowls made from gourds.

Todays ceremony started at 1330 and we are now taking a break...back to the village in 30 minutes for round 2!

Really wish I had pictures, but I didnt dare whip out a camera as a foreign guest at this special event.

The chicha is damn tasty too!

http://laestrella.com.pa/estilo/cultura/latido-kuna-ceremonia-chicha/23568611

That sounds great! I've never been to Panama, and that's on my list. I was thinking Bocas del Toro, but really anywhere would be wonderful. It sounds like your time in the San Blas island is beyond believable.

That sounds great! I've never been to Panama, and that's on my list. I was thinking Bocas del Toro, but really anywhere would be wonderful. It sounds like your time in the San Blas island is beyond believable.
There is a lot to experience in Panama. We've been slowly, and unintentionally, migrating here from Guatemala (an amazing country) since 2012.

Bocas del Toro. We sailed to Bocas in 2012 from Guatemala and kept the boat there for a year or so. Many people either love or hate Bocas. It can be a bit touristy and dirty (two common negatives) depending on where you are, but as a whole the archipeligo is beautiful. The beach on the Red Frog property on Isla Bastimentos is one of the most beautiful beaches in the W Carib. Cayos Zapatilla are beautiful with nice beaches and make a good day trip.

And most importantly, craft brewing is really catching on here, with several good breweries to choose from: see Rana Dorada, Boquete Brewery, and Casa Bruja. Quite a few good imports to choose from too.

[emoji106]

Back