Chicago trip recommendations...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jspain3

Reaction score
SWMBO and I are visiting Chicago at the end of the month. Being from GA, I'm looking to find some beers up there that don't distribute in my neck of the woods. 120 Minute, Deschutes, Three Floyds, Daisy Cutter, Pipeworks, etc. are already on my list. I plan on hitting up some beer stores and visiting either (or both) the Publican or Hopleaf beer bars.

Any recommendations from locals or frequent visitors would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!:tank:

Some that I like which should be relatively easy to find, although zombie dust could be a little more challenging.

IPA/APA
Revolution- Anti Hero
Goose Island - Green Line
Three Floyds - Zombie Dust & Arctic Panzer Wolf

Saison
Two Brothers - Domaine DuPage
Goose Island - Sophie

Binny's is my go to spot for beer purchases. It's a big store but they have a solid selection. Hard to find stuff may be tough to get there do to their large client base. There are several Binnys around town.

Thanks, guys! Surly and Anti Hero are definitely added to the list. I'll also look for a Binny's.

Got Toppling Goliath on the list?

I have never seen Toppling Goliath here, although that would be a welcome surprise!

I would add to your current list:

-Something from 5 Rabbit (local brewery co-owned by Randy Mosher; I tend to like the seasonals that they sell in bombers the best, or Vida y Muerte, their Marzen, if it's out by the time you're here)
-Something from Off-Color Brewing. They tend to do off-the-wall wild/sour ales, and have a number of really cool offerings. Scurry, Apex Predator, Troublesome, and Fierce are all pretty easy to find in stores, and they often have a seasonal bomber available too.
-In addition to Daisy Cutter, Half Acre brewery has an IPA called Vallejo and a wheat called Akari Shogun that are both truly outstanding.

EDIT: Oh, and when you're thinking about beer bars, make sure you go to Bar on Buena. Best beer bar in the city, in my humble opinion.

If you are up for a trip, Solemn Oath Brewery is in Naperville, a suburb due west of Chicago. Its phenomenal. Binny's usually carries a few different styles of theirs if you can't make it out to their tap room.

Ah ... My mistake. Toppling Goliath is in Iowa, not Indiana like I thought.

+1 on binny's...especially the one right next to goose island brewery! also, a couple of brewery recommendations to visit while you are there: revolution b.c. (one of my all time favs and the food is spectacular) & exit strategy b.c.

safe travels.

Go to Revolution for sure! Besides Anti-Hero, they have an amazing selection. Fist City is probably my favorite, but right now Citra Hero is the seasonal. It's top notch. They have two locations close to each other. One is the brewery and a tap room, and the other is their bar. They're only a few minutes drive away from each other. Don't bother with the tour. They give hardly any info, and you can see almost everything through the windows anyways. It is free though, and you get a beer (of their choosing). They're probably the best, most consistent brewery in Chicago right now. Goose seems to be declining quickly...

If you decide to go to Revolution, right down the street is a burger joint called Kuma's Corner. I believe they were listed as the top burger place in america last year by the Food Network. The place plays metal overhead, but you get used to it quickly if it's not your preferred music genre. If it is, then enjoy! Lol! I always get the Pantera burger. It's insanely good. They usually have Zombie Dust or something Floyd's on tap too. Don't skip this place. They also have another location in Schaumburg if anyone else is interested, but don't want to drive downtown.

There's also Kingston Mines in Lincoln Park. Not a good beer selection, food is mediocre, and the place is not in the best of shape. The live music is top notch though! It's an awesome mix of rock and blues that you won't find anywhere else. Don't show up there until after 9-10pm, or you may be the only ones inside. Lol! Quite possibly my favorite place in the city!

Try this website too. It'll tell you all small breweries in any city you visit. It's a great tool for travelers...

https://www.craftbeer.com/breweries/brewery-locator/find-a-us-brewery

Back