Chicago Suburban Area Homebrew Shops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckO

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be back in the Chicago suburbs in early October and want to buy a couple of sacks of base grains and probably some specialty grains. My LHBS is FedEx or UPS here in West Virginia, so bulk grain purchases are too costly. Hence I use the opportunity of a trip out of the area to buy these things. Can someone please recommend some homebrew shops that have decent prices? I'll be in Evanston, Downers Grove, La Grange-Countryside and finally in Gary, Indiana but don't have a problem with driving to other suburbs for good deals.

Prime requirements are reasonable prices on good quality grains. I'm thinking 2-row and Maris Otter in bulk and a variety of specialty grains (thinking of a brewing schedule for next winter-spring.)

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

Brew and Grow is a chain of homebrew shops around the area. There's a location in Bolingbrook.

Chicago Brew Werks is another store, but I haven't stopped in yet, but always heard great things (met the owner at a competition, and he was super nice)

I can't comment on prices as I've never purchased whole sacks from the store, though.

Brew and Grow is a chain of homebrew shops around the area. There's a location in Bolingbrook.

Chicago Brew Werks is another store in Plainfield, but I haven't stopped in yet, but always heard great things (met the owner at a competition, and he was super nice)

I can't comment on prices as I've never purchased whole sacks from the store, though.

Chicago Brew Werks is one of those places that doesn't look like much from the outside, but is a really nice store. I am from South West Michigan, but I find myself in Aurora a few times a year. Since I am going thru Plainfield anyway, I stop in and pick up what is harder to find here locally. That may be a bit out of your way however.

PseudoChef's recomendation of Brew and Grow is a good one, or Brew Camp are in the areas you are going to be in, so try them out first.

Also, check out Three Floyds brewery in Munster on your way to Gary.

Brewhouse Supplies in Valparaiso Indiana is where I buy all my homebrew supplies and ingredients. Locally owned and the owners are very good people. Prices are good and the owners use to brew at a local brewery too. If you are in Gary definitely drive to valpo and check them out along with Four Fathers Brewing in valpo. Four Fathers is my favorite NWI brewery.

Brew and grow in Bolingbrook is about $38 for a sack of 2-row with an AHA discount if memory serves correctly.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Northern brewer is about an hour north in Milwaukee as well.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

check out chicagohbrewers.org. They have decient prices, but its only seasonal. @x per year for grains and hops. They are on north Cicero Better get in quick cause its almost over, there is still time to get in though

Chicago Brew Werks is another store in Plainfield, but I haven't stopped in yet, but always heard great things (met the owner at a competition, and he was super nice)

CBW is the only place that I have gone lately. Staff is super knowledgeable and is very friendly and helpful. Stop in, pick up some grain from their bulk bins, a sack or two, and peruse the billion and a half specialty grains they have. Pick up a few pounds of hops and then stop at their bar for a growler of their in-house brewed beer. You can't go wrong with this place!

Now sure how their bulk grain sacks compare to other places, but I'm sure it's pretty reasonable. It's definitely worth the stop. True, it's not much to look at on the outside, but never judge a book by its cover. I always feel like a kid in Wonka's chocolate factory when I'm there.

Brew and Grow in Bolingbrook seems to be much more focused on the grow than it is the brew... Which is fine if you're into growing. I'll be honest, since CBW opened, I haven't gone anywhere else, including the Internet.

Back