Chicago May 11th - 15th

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatchinZs

Reaction score
I'll be in Chicago for training and wanted to see if anyone could give me info on the area. My training and hotel are in the Loop. I'm not at all familar with the area but would like to get out at night.

Any thought on using mass transit in the area.

Depending on where you're staying it's real easy getting around downtown. The CTA train is good for getting around. You can hit Goose Island Brewery and Rock Bottom Brewery if you're looking for brewpubs. Deprecated Browser Error It's all based on colors and cross streets for locating the stations.

Chicago Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery - casual dining and brewpub

Goose Island

I'm a burby, but from what I can remember both have good beer and food. Lots of bars and restaurants all over the place.

Thanks for the info.

I figued I'd make my way over to Goose Island for a night.
I already have the CTA routes printed so I have a better idea of how to get around.
Google Maps is awesome for that too by the way.
I just wish I had a data phone to help me out but no luck there.

I'll be in Chicago for training and wanted to see if anyone could give me info on the area. My training and hotel are in the Loop. I'm not at all familar with the area but would like to get out at night.

Any thought on using mass transit in the area.

RTA | The Regional Transportation Authority: Public transportation in Northeastern Illinois

There's a nice trip planner and such on there.

If you can make it to the Map Room on a weekend, they have free ribs and stuff in the afternoon.

26 taps!
Free ribs and chickens!:rockin:

edit: damn! you're not gonna be there on the weekend, that sucks.

I'm willing to travel around to find some good places to hang out for the evening so I don't mind if I have to leave the loop.

definitely hit up goose island clybourn -- short red line trip from the loop.

and piece brewpub/pizza place has good beers and good pizza... just a few stops on the blue line from the loop.

+1 for The Map Room. One of our (my wife and I) favorite places for beer. Not far from the Loop and near GreekTown is Jak's Tap. Not the same as The Map Room, but good food and a pretty darn good beer selection.

IMO the best way to organize it is to say "I'll be at place X at time Y on Z date" otherwise you'll have too many cooks in the kitchen. If people can make it they will.

That said I vote for a Map Room meet-up on either tues/wed/thurs.

Map Room and Piece are two great places.

Goose Island is good, but you can get a lot of their stuff anywhere.

Map Room and Piece are two great places.

Goose Island is good, but you can get a lot of their stuff anywhere.

They also usually have things on tap, such as a cask conditioned ale, amongst others, that they never bottle.

I would try their limited editions if you go there.

I'm not saying that it's bad, I'm saying that there are places more unique than GI.

I guess I've gone there too often.

GI is nice because of the two locations. If you want to do the touristy thing and see Wrigley Field and the surrounding area (and eye candy) the one up that way is a nice option...

I'm not really a touristy kind of guy and I probably won't have time to see Wrigley due to the training during the day.

To be honest, I'm just looking for a place that (as dumb as it sounds) represents Chicago in a way.

Map room or Piece are what you want then.

Also Hot Dogs and Deep Dish Pizza (although I don't care for it)

Looks like the Map room is the preferred location.

GreenWoodRover is down for one of these nights (tues/wed/thurs)

I don't have anything to do at all during the evening so I'm up for one of those nights also.

Anybody else have a preference?

Map Room is a short drive for me. You guys name the night and I can probably make it any night but Wednesday...sorry, 2 hour "Lost" season finale. Must see TV with SWMBO and some thai take out and good brew at home. That plan is in stone. :)

OK.

Thursday at the Map Room.

My training runs until 5 so I should be able to get there by 7.

I'll exchange contact info with a few of you guys via PM to make the meet up easier.

I made it in...I thought I already posted that but I must have forgotten to click submit.

Nice city by the way.

Welcome to Chicago, man. Sorry to join the discussion late, but if you're ever catching a train to the North Side, there are a few great places to go.

Sheffield's is one, and then Wrigleyville (Clark and Addison) have a lot to offer in terms of a night life, especially now that its warm. Hopleaf and Map Room are great, too, as mentioned...

Duke of Perth is a kickass place to get some food and a Scotch ale or ESB before heading out for the night, as well.

Welcome to the city. Wish I could make it to the Map Room when you guys go, but work/family are getting in the way. Have fun!

Ill be in wrigleyville for Thursday night for the Cubs game... how far is Map room or hopleaf from there? I'd be down to meet up with some ppl, Ill be seeing a show that night too!

Map room is less than $10 cab ride from Wrigley just walk south a ways to get away from the craziness of the ball park...

Map room
1949 N Hoyne Ave
Chicago, IL 60647

Actually if you park in the shuttle lot at Addison and Western you could take the shuttel back to your car and the drive over or walk from there (about 15-20min walk from the shuttle lot)

Basically on Armitage 1 Block west of damen.

Rich AKA RC0032 gave me his number so I'll just give him a call when I get close.

I'm not sure what the best way to let each other know who we are once we're there.

Duh, The secret HBT handshake...don't tell me you don't know it.

I'll be the dude in the plaid shirt that looks like a less *****y version the King of Queens actor Kevin James.

I'm assuming you look like Sinatra (based on your avatar) and RC032 looks like a dude than enjoys RC Cola and Nehi Orange...

I'll be at work... :(

If anyone's interested, I'm playing a gig at Lilly's in Lincoln Park tomorrow night at 10. I'd be interested in grabbing a beer or two or three after.

Back