Chicago Beekeeper!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I put together our first mead today, which isn't that exciting until we see how it turns out :) But I thought others might be interested in knowing that I bought the honey I used from a Chicago-area beekeeper who raises his bees on the top of the Chicago Marriott and along some re-claimed former industrial land along the southern shore of Lake Michigan. He speaks passionately about beekeeping as being important ecologically, especially in an area like Chicago.

He also runs a local winery and makes outstanding meads - here's a great video about him and his bees:

Last edited by a moderator:
very cool. I try to by brewing supplies from him whenever I make it to the southside. I remember a few years ago he had bees on the roof of his shop but it was a pain in the ass climbing a ladder to harvest the honey.

There is another company beeline, that trains people to raise bees in the city but they make the honey/wax into cosmetics. I think bees will be the new chickens for urban pets.

I think bees will be the new chickens for urban pets.

This makes me smile :)

I like Bev Art, too, his homebrew/wine/mead shop. Everytime I read a post complaining about a lhbs, I give thanks that Bev Art is just down 103rd street from me.

Have you tried his commercial meads? They are really good. And his honey is delicious, too, just to eat.

How wonderful that the hotel opted for bee boxes instead of a heliopad! I bet 99% of the people who stay there have no idea, unless the hotel promotes it.

I think he pays the hotel in honey, but I'm sure the guests have no idea. The bees that he keeps on the south lake shore is even more impressive - that is a desolated area, environmentally, economically. Just horrible and to keep bees in an area where we are trying to reclaim it (both for the environment and for the people living there) is really great.

Plus, his honey tastes sooo good!

Back