Chest Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
Score - 9 cubic ft chest frigidaire freezer from craigslist $125. Actually measured out at 8.65; gotta call frigidaire to confirm; google provides notta nor does the mfg site with model code. Ordered ranco today. Seller states bought a little over a year ago. Summers coming, I'm a happy camper.

574-chest-front.JPG

574-chest-cornies.JPG

darn humps :(

Thanks Pol for reinvigorating me on searching craigslist!

rtfo! i should check craigslist, especially livin in the bay area. gotta get my truck back up and runnin, then i'm going fridge huntin! you guys are truly inspiring!

DeathBrewer said:
rtfo! i should check craigslist, especially livin in the bay area. gotta get my truck back up and runnin, then i'm going fridge huntin! you guys are truly inspiring!

Dude, you really do! I always see chest freezers on there for around $100, and for some reason, there always seems to be someone giving one for free up in the Napa area, maybe they have more money or something.... I'm pretty happy with my setup for now, but I always like to look anyway.

DeathBrewer said:
srsly. i found a bunch of them in like a 2 minute search

here's one that actually mentions home brew, lol: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/for/310870133.html

that's it. i'm gonna call about that truck in the morning. just needs a new carb, i think, and i got myself a kegerator project :rockin:

Uhm, you need to go get that one. Unless it's too big for the space you'd put it! Maybe (s)he's got a temp controller you can negotiate for as well.

desertBrew said:
Uhm, you need to go get that one. Unless it's too big for the space you'd put it! Maybe (s)he's got a temp controller you can negotiate for as well.
wish i could. my truck is still at my mechanic friends shop. but there's always deals here. i'll check some out as soon as i can grab one. probably post here and get everyone's input if i find some good deals. Thanks!

Dude said:
Nice score....

You planning on just lagering with it or is it going to be a serving bar with a tap collar built into it?

I'm happy with my upright fridge kegger system so this is going to be more for a couple of purposes I think.

Cool/Cold storage of kegs & some bottles probably for the most part. I don't want to brew as much in summer so want to stock up and keep them cool in here. I don't like the fact that I'm storing kegs & bottles at near 80 degrees in summer and that includes secondary's. Temp might be in the 50-60 range. Basically manage my fluctuating secondary/storage temps and keep em consistent in here. I might not do much secondary action at all anymore and only rack to keg when fg is hit and then let them condition in the keg in the chest.

I can fit up to 5 cornies in it so I'd also see a co2 tank in there on the hump to start carbing up what I want on tap next. I got a 5, 10 and 20lb tank but only the one reg currently. El-cheapo reg for in here.

When it cools off, I will probably try a lager or two and leverage this guy for that for sure. Ales in the primary I'll keep using my fermentation chiller summer and winter. Works great and portable.

So many cool things to do with it. I could almost see having two but then I'd need a brew shed. :eek:

I just purchased a 15.2 cubic ft upright freezer for $50 out of local classified ads!! I can fit two carboys and two cornies....or four cornies and one carboy....or, or, or. Lots of combinations for a whole lotta beer!!

Flippin Sweet! I know what you guys are going through. I got me a sweet deal on a 5.0 cu ft freezer and its near cheap. I think I'll use it for lagering,:rockin: and buy me that Sanyo 4912 unit for my kegs. Rock on Dudes! :rockin:

Back