chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brboland

Reaction score
So my old college roommate is the manager of our local Sears. I asked him a while back to look out for a scratch and dent chest freezer or fridge. He just called me and told me they have a Kenmore 14 cuft chest freezer that looks like something heavy fell on its top in shipping and the lid does not fit exactly perfect. He said the lid does not hold a seal but the unit gets cold. He said the could sell it to me for $54... my question is is this thing a good find or a waste of time? I am not a skilled craftsman capable of fabrication much but i figure I may be able to fashion a new lid that would work for a keezer. He said they have to get rid of it by their district visit Wednesday soIi don't have a lot of time to think about it. any input would be great.

Where do u live I'll come buy it
Lol most keezer builds on here have the lid removed and a collars attached just search the diy thread and look at the pics

You're gonna end up putting a collar on it if you make a keezer, so slapping a piece of plywood on top of the collar to make a new lid isn't much more of a project.

I am completely new and stoked I found this forum. About to go make a keezer. One thing I don't understand though is why is a freezer not too cold for beer kegs? Or can the temp be raised above freezing? Or does the power need to be modified? I would like to understand before I start. Thank you!

I am completely new and stoked I found this forum. About to go make a keezer. One thing I don't understand though is why is a freezer not too cold for beer kegs? Or can the temp be raised above freezing? Or does the power need to be modified? I would like to understand before I start. Thank you!

Firstly, why are you digging up 6 year old threads...

Secondly, we either use an electronic temperature controller such as an inkbird, or some freezers have a course adjustment screw allowing the stock thermostat to be adjusted above freezing.

Spend some time reading various build topics and you'll understand.

Back