chest freezer vs mini fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
I was looking to macromade myself a kegerator with the tower faucet and was wondering which would be better a mini fridge or a chest freezer. Would like to fit 2 cornys and co2 tank with a double faucet tower. Would lifting the lid of a chest freezer ever so often to change kegs and co2 etc cause a problem on the chest freezer that will have a lid on top? thought commets etc

IMHO if you are only going to have 2 kegs a mini fridge would be just fine. I believe most move up to a keezer because they want more capacity than a mini fridge will handle.

There are tons of keezer builds on here and no lifting the lid will not cause any problems.

For two, go with a mini-fridge, it's just easy.

There would not be a problem with the chest freezer lid though, just make sure your beer lines have enough slack (which they should anyway).

If it were me, I'd go for a small freezer, even for just two kegs. It doesn't take up much more room, the costs are about the same and then you'd have room for more if you wanted more int he future without having to start from scratch.

Many people have a tower on their chest freezer...you just have to remember you'll have to pull the keezer away from the wall when you want ot open the lid. If you only want 2 cornies (like any hobby this will only do you a short time...then you'll want to expand....) a mini fridge is fine. Just make sure (do a search on here) it's the right size/brand. My keggerator (an older Sears model) fits two cornies and the CO2 tank with no promblems....but I'm already looking into getting me a chest freezer as a Christmas gift to myself.....

I second the chest freezer. At the local Home Depot, I can get one for around $200 that fits 4 5 gal. corny's, a 2.5 gal. and the co2 tank. To me, thats a better deal than a $150 mini fridge that only holds 2. To me that say, 3 on tap, one cold conditioning, and the 2.5 full of my mead or hard cider. Just my 2¢

Back