Quantcast

Chest Freezer Temps in Winter

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

MrOrange

Reaction score
Hello,

So I made my first lager this past Friday which is a Vienna lager that I decoction mashed. Everything on brew day went perfect considering I had never done a decoction. I chilled to 50F and put in the chest freezer set at 50F and fermentation started in around 12 hrs. The temps where I live were in the mid 50's throughout the weekend so I felt comfortable that my chest freezer wouldn't have any issue getting too cold in my garage. I woke up this morning and the temps outside had dropped to like 25F and to make things worse I left my garage door open all night. Does anyone think that this will cause an issue with my beer? I was thinking of running home on lunch and adding a light bulb to the chest freezer to try and keep the temps up. Anyone have any input of better ideas? I am just hoping I haven't screwed up my first lager.

scoundrel

Reaction score
Hello,

So I made my first lager this past Friday which is a Vienna lager that I decoction mashed. Everything on brew day went perfect considering I had never done a decoction. I chilled to 50F and put in the chest freezer set at 50F and fermentation started in around 12 hrs. The temps where I live were in the mid 50's throughout the weekend so I felt comfortable that my chest freezer wouldn't have any issue getting too cold in my garage. I woke up this morning and the temps outside had dropped to like 25F and to make things worse I left my garage door open all night. Does anyone think that this will cause an issue with my beer? I was thinking of running home on lunch and adding a light bulb to the chest freezer to try and keep the temps up. Anyone have any input of better ideas? I am just hoping I haven't screwed up my first lager.
If it drops into the 40's it will be fine assuming you made a good sized starter. Fermenting in a garage is tricky due to the temp swings. Get a small space heater to warm up the garage above fermentation temps. That way if you have temperature swings at least it will be above lager fermentation temps.

OP
MrOrange

MrOrange

Reaction score
I had a 3L starter so I am hoping everything is going to be fine. I guess I'll move my heater into the garage and see what happens. Just hope it didn't get to cold and put the yeast to sleep......

Reaction score
I think you need a heat source in the freezer if it will be in the garage all winter. Do you have a temp controller?

I've found that mine rarely kicks in during the winter, but it does kick in occasionally. Usually after a few days of really cold weather. Better safe than sorry.

OP
MrOrange

MrOrange

Reaction score
Yeah I was planning on doing something like what EdWort does. I think he just hangs a light bulb in his freezer to keep the temps up. I have a Johnson temp controller that my freezer is plugged into but that doesn't help with my heating issue. I wonder if the insulation on my freezer was enough to keep it within fermentation temp ranges last night. We shall see

bmac

Reaction score
If you have a dual stage temp controller the best thing to do would be to use a fermwrap on the fermentation vessel to heat things up so you can stay within your chosen ferm temp range. If you don't have a dual stage then the light bulb trick should work.

OP
MrOrange

MrOrange

Reaction score
Well I did a lot of worrying for nothing. I went home on lunch and the beer is still bubbling along just fine. I did go ahead and install a light bulb in the freezer just to avoid any huge temp swings but other than that I think eveything will turn out fine. Thanks for all of the feedback.

schristian619

Reaction score
I just started doing the light bulb thing. My garage gets cold at night and I was having trouble keeping ale temps in the chest freezer without it dropping down to the 50s. I added a 40watt light and its been constant 66F since.