Chest Freezer Set Up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abilor

518 Beeronaut
Reaction score
Well folks, I've gone and done it. After a lot of luck using a wrap-around heating element to make some badass saisons and kveik projects, I've decided to go the other way, and I just bought a 5.0 cu ft chest freezer that opens from the top. Gets here Thursday. I also already have an inkbird controller.

The PLAN is to set up the freezer, drill a hole through the door on top, add a grommet so there's no sharp edges, and run the inkbird temp probe and power cord for heater through there to make a true "set and forget" fermentation chamber. Bonus for it being a true freezer so I could lager in there, which is the real goal.

I should be safe to punch a hole through the lid/door just about anywhere, no? Any protips on the grommet and making an efficient seal where the probe/power wires come out? Silicone, with some slack run inside maybe?

I put a collar on my freezer. Just so that if I decide to use it for anything else, or sell it I could, plus with adding a collar I can have to in my fermentor. THe roof should be fine to drill a hole in though.

You can just lay the temp probe and heater wires across the opening and let the lid close on it, near one of the hinges. No need to drill a hole, and if there's any chance you'd ever want to sell this, a hole in the lid won't help that.

But, since you asked, as far as hurting anything, a hole through the lid won't.

You can run all kinds of stuff through the back edge of a chest freezer lid...

keezer_gas_mod_05.jpg

Cheers!

I drilled a 2” hole through the lid on mine for a tower. Wishing I hadn’t but didn’t want to take the time to do it right. Now I’m planning another for indoors. This one is my road warrior. It’s been hundreds of miles and will go from 80f to freezing beer in about 3 hours.
The sensor for my thermostat is so slim i just run it under the lid as mentioned by others. You can see the thermostat attached to the cabinet on the right of the photo.
IMG_1424.JPG

Well folks, I've gone and done it. After a lot of luck using a wrap-around heating element to make some badass saisons and kveik projects, I've decided to go the other way, and I just bought a 5.0 cu ft chest freezer that opens from the top. Gets here Thursday. I also already have an inkbird controller.

The PLAN is to set up the freezer, drill a hole through the door on top, add a grommet so there's no sharp edges, and run the inkbird temp probe and power cord for heater through there to make a true "set and forget" fermentation chamber. Bonus for it being a true freezer so I could lager in there, which is the real goal.

I should be safe to punch a hole through the lid/door just about anywhere, no? Any protips on the grommet and making an efficient seal where the probe/power wires come out? Silicone, with some slack run inside maybe?

There are limitless way to make it look different...just do what works for you. To provide a picture of what Redpappy mentioned (collar), I put one in this post. It prevents drilling into the deep freezer...anywhere...and it still allows you to add as many taps as kegs can fit in the freezer.

Also, I used this video to help me build mine:

20190506_165109.jpg

Back