Chest Freezer maintain temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xinunix

Reaction score
Thinking of getting something to control fermentation temps. With a Johnson Controls controller and a 5 cu ft. chest freezer will I be able to maintain a 66 degree ambient temp for my ale fermentation? With minimal effort aside from setting the temp on the controller?

It should be set and forget. They have a build in feature I believe that allows a temperature range so your compressor isn't constantly kicking on.

I was thinking the same thing recently as I know I can't maintain temps in any room I have in the range needed to brew Ale. 60-65 deg temps are just not possible come May-Sept, here... well that is without A/C and I don't have it.

I was thinking about building something but it might just be easier and cheaper in the long run to just buy a small freezer for the garage to hold, Primary's, secondaries and Kegs that are aging.

Anyone know if the JC analog controller can do it? I have heard it might make the freezer cycle too much to try to keep ale temps? i can get a good freezer and jc analog controller for $200, thinking that is the way to go?

Thats what I use, cept its on a 25 CuFt.

Just set yours to take a larger temp swing. With a carboy, a 15 or 20 degree ambient temp swing 2 or 4 times a day, the beer won't ever know the difference.

When I'm fermenting in mine, I set it on 60 with a 10 degree swing, when I have kegs in there, its 38 with a 15 degree swing.

ok so it sounds like a chest freezer and jc analog controller is the best way to go to maintain fermentation temps. If any others have opinions please chime in, otherwise I am off to the store!

I have a Kenmore 8.8 cu.ft chest freezer along with the JC A419 digital temp controller and it works great. I've currently got it set to 68 with a 1 degree temp differental and the thermomenters on the sides of the buckets both show the temp at a steady 68. I'm also looking forward to being able to cold crash the brew prior to kegging.

ok so it sounds like a chest freezer and jc analog controller is the best way to go to maintain fermentation temps. If any others have opinions please chime in, otherwise I am off to the store!
One of my brewing buddies has the JC analog controller on his chest freezer, it works great and holds temp for fermenting. However, he is definitely looking at upgrading it as his next upgrade to the JC 419 (Digital) with the thermowell. Just a thought, if the ~$20 isn't a big concern I'd go with it in the event that you ever wanted to go with the thermowell. That's just my $.02.

The digital's not much more, and it gives you more accurate control, but be sure to get the 120VAC version, as there's no 24VAC in most chest freezers.

Back