chest freezer + love tss2. What did you guys do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julian81

Reaction score
I've searched the forums and probably ready every thread on this controller, and while there is a wealth of info, I do have some very basic questions I'm hoping you folks can answer.

I just ordered one of these controllers but now kind of questioning whether I should have gone the easier route and just got a Ranco dual stage prewired.

First, how do you guys end up mounting this thing? internally or externally? If internally, does all the wiring then run inside, and back out through a drilled hole to some kind of outlet so you can actually plug the freezer into it?

And as for heating, do you have that outlet external or internal?

Really, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to plug everything in, and maybe have the controller mounted in some way, so it's not just dangling or resting on a table/shelf next to the freezer.

The way I see it, at least 1 hole will need to be drilled and sealed/caulked for the temp probe. I'd also like the option to put my stir plate/yeast starter in the chest freezer so I'd need either an outlet in there to do that, or to run the stir plate wire through that same temp probe hole. I'm pretty sure putting an outlet IN the freezer is not recommended for moisture + electricity concerns...

I know it's probably semantics to you guys, but i'm really just looking for some examples, either pics or description, of exactly how you guys wire/mount and run these things.

Oh and I'm interested in what TomSD did here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/another-tss2-controller-box-build-195713/

Just might make a few modifications (all outlets on the same side) and figure out how to mount it in/on the freezer.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Julian

I mounted mine to the front door next to the door hinge. I tapped into the actual fridge wiring so all the wiring is inside. For the heater I just put a small heater inside and have it directly wired to the TSS2

IMG_0048_small.jpg

I mounted mine to the front door next to the door hinge. I tapped into the actual fridge wiring so all the wiring is inside. For the heater I just put a small heater inside and have it directly wired to the TSS2

IMG_0048_small.jpg

Oh ok, that's for an upright. I really like the idea of mounting it INTO the surface of the freezer, but all my wiring for the freezer is external. There is nothing on the inside except flat surfaces for storage. The dial (1-7 for coldness) is also external. It's a Kenmore Heavy Duty chest freezer (about 8cu ft) I got off craigslist.

If I were to mount the unit into the lid/front of the freezer, I'd then have wires go through the inside and back out a drilled hole to the back, no? And as for the heater inside, did you just cut the plug off the end and splice it into your controller?

On the heater I just cut the plug off and then connected to the TSS2.

I toyed with mounting it externally but like the look of having it mounted to the fridge. If you mount it externally you will still need to run temp probe wire inside. If you have to make a hole anyway might as well run freezer wires from back to the TSS2. Its up to you to decide what you want. Thats just my 2 Cents

Yeah, I just have no idea how this freezer is wired. There's a small uncovered panel in the bottom right on the outside rear of the freezer that has a bunch of wires going to the compressor and then on the opposite side of the freezer is a dial (1-7, 7 being coldest) but this dial is also external. There is no internal thermostat or anything on the inside. I can take pics when I get home, but from that description, any idea how I might start the wiring?

electrichead: see I like that, but I don't have a collar to work with and don't plan on making one for this ferm chamber. I'm just wondering if I should go to the effort making those amount of holes in my actual freezer walls. Is that dangling wire the temp probe?

How tall is the lid?

Excuse the terrible paint diagram of a freezer lid, but how about something like this?
badliddrawing.jpg

Mine was built with the main purpose of being portable and multli-function. If you are doing something more permanent I wouldn't build a box.

As for mounting it without a collar... you might want to mount it in the lid. Either facing up or, if the lid is thick enough, facing front. From there I would just wire everything directly to the controller instead of messing with plugs. Mounting it in one of the walls is risky as you might hit something important and kill your freezer.

As for a spare outlet(s)... you could mount them inside if that is where the devices are going to plug in at. That would mean only two cords need to exit/enter the freezer. One being your power supply and the other being to the freezer.

How tall is the lid?

Excuse the terrible paint diagram of a freezer lid, but how about something like this?
badliddrawing.jpg

I'm not sure how to read this, but I'd like to stay away from the lid since I don't want wires running down through it which could jiggle/move everytime I open it up.

Mine was built with the main purpose of being portable and multli-function. If you are doing something more permanent I wouldn't build a box.

As for mounting it without a collar... you might want to mount it in the lid. Either facing up or, if the lid is thick enough, facing front. From there I would just wire everything directly to the controller instead of messing with plugs. Mounting it in one of the walls is risky as you might hit something important and kill your freezer.

As for a spare outlet(s)... you could mount them inside if that is where the devices are going to plug in at. That would mean only two cords need to exit/enter the freezer. One being your power supply and the other being to the freezer.

Yeah, I'm not sure about mounting it in the lid. As I said above, then I might have wires dangling down and shifting/jiggling everytime I open the lid. Unless I'm picturing this wrong?

Also, is it OK to have an outlet in a freezer? Wouldn't moisture/condensation make it's way into the plug and cause a short or worse, an electrical fire?

Yeah, I just have no idea how this freezer is wired. There's a small uncovered panel in the bottom right on the outside rear of the freezer that has a bunch of wires going to the compressor and then on the opposite side of the freezer is a dial (1-7, 7 being coldest) but this dial is also external. There is no internal thermostat or anything on the inside. I can take pics when I get home, but from that description, any idea how I might start the wiring?

Sometimes the wiring schematic is on the back of the unit. If its not best thing is to get the model number and search for the wiring schematic with google. You should be able to find it. Once you get the schematic you could post it and then we could tell you what wires you need to tap into.

Cool, really appreciate that man! I've tried looking for the user manual for this particular model but can't seem to find it anywhere on google.

It's a Kenmore Heavy Duty chest freezer. Model # on the label says - 253.14922101

Cool, really appreciate that man! I've tried looking for the user manual for this particular model but can't seem to find it anywhere on google.

It's a Kenmore Heavy Duty chest freezer. Model # on the label says - 253.14922101

Below is the schematic found from here http://www.flickr.com/photos/zenzoidman/5391472035/

Look and make sure the shematic matches what your wiring is before you cut anything. Usually there is schematic where the compressor is if someone didn't remove it.

Run power to TSS2 terminals 4 & 5 then splice into freezer wiring and put black wire from freezer temp controller to TSS2 #7 and Blue from freezer temp controller to TSS2 #7

Schematic2.jpg

If you mount it in the lid you wouldn't have anything hanging down... at least not from the installation. You would want it all tacked up and out of the way since it is permanent. As for an outlet in a freezer... I don't see why not. You may want to go with an outdoor rated outlet instead of one of those light duty indoor ones but other than that it should be fine.

That or, even better, would be to tie in a piece of extension cord with the plug on the end. That way it could be run down the back and draped out of the way. That and you would have plenty of cord for whatever you are hooking up.

Thanks guys, really appreciate all the help!

After consideration, and reviewing some of your guys previous posts again, I've decided to make this a less permanent installation so that I can easily port it over in case I ever upgrade freezers, or if it dies suddenly. For this reason, and because after reviewing parts and time investment to get this installed, I'm going to cancel the Love TSS2 order and go with a Ranco dual stage prewired from Morebeer.com. It's more expensive, but it's pretty much the out of the box, ready to go option...so I can start brewing NOW.

I could probably do the wiring with the help of some friends and their tools, but I don't know when this would get done. Buying it ready to go makes more sense at this time, and this way I don't need to worry about cutting into my freezer. The only thing I'll need is a drilled hole to run the temp probe, heater wire and stir plate wire which should be fairly straight forward.

And the stir plate wire could be just plugged into another power source, since all it needs is power and has nothing to do with the temp controller.

I think this is the best bet. Really appreciate all your guys advice and help.

rockytoptim: thanks for finding the diagram. The flickr page lists a different model for that wiring diagram that mine, so not sure it would apply. I could do a visual check, but since I won't be going the Love route anymore probably not necessary. Thank you though!

Back