Chest Freezer Kegerator Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyka_Delik

Reaction score
Hello all! Glad to be a part of the forum. I'm pretty new to this whole deal so forgive my lack of knowledge here...but I am wanting to turn a little chest freezer into a Kegerator.

I'm doing a very basic set up. A single tap tower coming from the lid connected to a 1/6 keg with room to hold a second spare keg.

I've already done the measurements.
From the floor to the lid is 28 1/2 inches to 28 3/4 inches, so it's just barely tall enough. The lower part of the floor is 17 inch by 18 inch, so there's enough room for two 1/6 kegs.

My question though is is a temperature maintaining device necessary if there's a temperature adjustment knob already on the freezer?

I've already ordered all the other supplies, and was very pleased that the grand total for the freezer and everything was less than $300..but it looks like I may have to spend another $90 =\

I attached some pics to show you what I'm workin with.

image-1456435114.jpg

image-197848984.jpg

image-1370713158.jpg

Why not put a 5 gal bucket of water and a thermometer in it, plug it in and see what your working with?

Freezers are meant to freeze which is why we use a secondary temp controller. But, CaptnCully has a good point, put a bucket in and see where you are at, you might be able to save yourself some $

From the floor to the lid is 28 1/2 inches to 28 3/4 inches, so it's just barely tall enough. The lower part of the floor is 17 inch by 18 inch, so there's enough room for two 1/6 kegs.

If it's "just barely tall enough" you might have a problem once you attach the quick disconnects to the top of the keg. They take up some height, too. Couple of inches, depending on what type of connectors you have. You might have to build a collar on it.

LandoLincoln said:
If it's "just barely tall enough" you might have a problem once you attach the quick disconnects to the top of the keg. They take up some height, too. Couple of inches, depending on what type of connectors you have. You might have to build a collar on it.

The description of the conversion kit I bout said 28 inches will work. Since it's in between 28.5 and 29 I think I should be good. The height of the actual kegs are 22-23 inches so There is around six inches for the connecter.

Soda kegs are 29" + the coupler. 1/6 barrels are 30" + 1" low profile disconnect. You'll need a collar.

CaptnCully said:
Why not put a 5 gal bucket of water and a thermometer in it, plug it in and see what your working with?

Yeah that's a solid idea. I will do that. I'm not picking it up til tomo..but I just stopped in today to pay for it / measure the inside.

runbad said:
Soda kegs are 29" + the coupler. 1/6 barrels are 30" + 1" low profile disconnect. You'll need a collar.

What? For real? I thought Cornelius kegs and 1/6 kegs were 22-23 inches..damnit.

Can I get a second opinion on the collar? Will 28.5 Inches be tall enough for a 1/6 or Corny Keg? And will I need a low profile coupler?

I'd really rather not build a collar. I don't have the equipment to build one.

Thumbless Bastard Brewing said:
Do the corny kegs and you will be fine. I have 27" in my keezer and it works great.

Awesome thanks. Do you use low profile couplers or standard 6inch couplers?

The temperature gauge knob on it's very lowest setting has the temp at a steady 42 degrees. So it's definitely possible to have it set to 37. Just have to tweak it.

I'll definitely buy a temp control device later, but for now this should work while it's in its testing phase.

Cheers!

At it's lowest possible setting the freezer runs at a steady 42 degrees, so it's definitely possible to get it to 37. Just have to tweak it a bit.

I'll definitely buy a temp control later..but this should work while it's still in its testing phase.

Cheers!

At it's lowest possible setting the freezer runs at a steady 42 degrees, so it's definitely possible to get it to 37. Just have to tweak it a bit.

I'd be concerned about a freezer that holds 42 degrees at it's lowest setting. A freezer should hold the temperature to between -10 deg. and zero deg. somewhere in the middle of it's adjustment range. Even at the highest setting it should stay below 32 deg.

You might want to verify that it can hold temperatures well into the freezing range to be certain that it isn't defective. It might be low on gas and that could be expensive to fix.

Yeah it can. The adjuster goes from 1-7..off being the lowest setting. But you can adjust it in between those numbers to. When you have it at just a hair past "off" it is around 40 degrees.

I started at 1 but it was too cold. The water in the bucket was freezing after five hours and there was icing on the walls.

I just went ahead and bought a controller for $50 on ebay though..it's basically impossible to have it set to 37. I clicked it one hair up again and it went below 32. I'm thinking now that it won't work without the temp control..

Thumbless Bastard Brewing said:
Yeah, that's about right. You really don't want too much empty space as a fridge/freezer works best when full.

Right on. My keezer should fit a corny with a standard coupler then. Thanks for the info =)

I just went ahead and bought a controller for $50 on ebay though..it's basically impossible to have it set to 37. I clicked it one hair up again and it went below 32. I'm thinking now that it won't work without the temp control..

It's a bit late for my comment, but I thought I'd still throw it out there in case you have a problem with the controller you found on Ebay - search the forums for "ebay aquarium temp controller," and you can find steps to build a temp controller for around $20 - $30.

Another dumb question for those of you with tower taps. Will it be necessary to have a tower tap cooling device from the get-go or will I be alright with using it for a while before installing one?

It's a bit late for my comment, but I thought I'd still throw it out there in case you have a problem with the controller you found on Ebay - search the forums for "ebay aquarium temp controller," and you can find steps to build a temp controller for around $20 - $30.

$20 - $30 if you have all of the other parts lying around your house, maybe.

Got it finished! Just need a keg to test it out =)
And the inside was actually 29" high so there'll be plenty of room for the coupler.

Here are some pics of the finished product and the building process. The blue fan box is a tower tap cooler. I used the instructions on this site ( http://www.kegkits.com/kegerator5.htm ) to build it.

image-581367325.jpg

image-3316188786.jpg

image-1151408759.jpg

image-2322675419.jpg

image-1866861582.jpg

image-3149651899.jpg

image-507503473.jpg

image-1890662820.jpg

I'm just starting to build a keezer
Any good places on line to buy the set up and corny kegs ?
Thanks

What kind of chest freezer is that?? i have a 7.2 cu ft frigidaire and that looks like the same one that i have.

Latest posts

Back