Chest Freezer Keezer problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
I don't know if this is a problem but I just bought a 7cu ft GE chest freezer.

I just got into my room a couple of nights ago and plugged it in to see if it works. I have not yet started to modify it as a Keezer.
I have not yet put the temperature controller on it or anything like that but the stock freezer seems to fire up every hour for about 5 to 7 minutes? Sometimes I also hear a howling noise kind of like wind? It's not too terribly loud but I can definitely hear it? Is this normal for a chest freezer before you put the temperature controller on it?
I want to make sure my chest freezer is okay before I glue a caller on to it...

I also have the setting turned as low as it will go... Not off, just to #1. I wanted to see how cold it got on the lowest setting.
Did any of your chest freezers Click on every hour before you put the temperature controller on it?

Yeah, if you have it plugged in and turned on it will cycle because it's trying to maintain the set temperature. And, yes, it's not unusual for them to make some noise during operation.

whoaru99 said:
Yeah, if you have it plugged in and turned on it will cycle because it's trying to maintain the set temperature. And, yes, it's not unusual for them to make some noise during operation.

So it will cycle to try to keep that really cold temperature? I heard a guy on a keezer thread say his comes on just every so often. But he has a temperature controller on his at I think about 40° And I think his Keezer is done so that is not nearly as cold as what my freezer is trying to do right now because it's still just a freezer.... So his Keezer does not cycle as often, Correct?

All else equal, the higher the temperature difference between set point and room temperature the quicker the freezer will cycle. Add to that, the lower the interior thermal mass, the quicker the freezer will cycle.

So you have an empty freezer set for who knows what insanely low temperature. Pretty much the worst-case condition.

I haven't actually sat there and monitored my 10cf six keg keezer to know how often it cycles, but I can say it's rarely running when I'm pulling a pint, and there was no significant blip on my electric bill when I first got the keezer running a couple of years ago...

Cheers!

As far as the temperature control goes, there doesn't need to be any modification to the freezer itself, right, if using an external temp control?

Just set the freezer's thermostat at coldest setting (although even the warmest probably doesn't really matter) and let the external control do the work?

passedpawn said:
Badger, once you get some stuff in there it will cycle less. You need mass in there. If you want to test, put some fermenters full of water.

Yes, the compressor makes sound when it is running.

Ok, I'll get my first keg and co2 tank Sunday, so I'll put things in there then, just after I put the temperature controller.... I'm really just running it right now to make sure that it's working good before I do all this stuff.
I put a cup of water in it last night and even on the lowest setting it's completely frozen like a rock....
It's also about 63° in my room, So according to you guys my empty freezer is working hard to stay very cold....
I just can't get over that little spooky sound of wind coming from the corner of my room... Lol

whoaru99 said:
As far as the temperature control goes, there doesn't need to be any modification to the freezer itself, right, if using an external temp control?

Just set the freezer's thermostat at coldest setting (although even the warmest probably doesn't really matter) and let the external control do the work?

I figured that..... So with the controller on it will be able to be set at a much warmer temperature then it is now, correct?
The cup of water in there that froze is seriously like granite rock.... Even at the lowest temperature this freezer is a beast...

My keezer cycles about once or twice per hour and runs for about ~3-5 minutes per cycle. It does make some weird noises. Sounds like trickling water.

I have it set to 38F. The temp controller kicks in at 40F and usually runs till it hits about 36F. It used to cycle a lot more frequently, but I fixed some air gaps I had between the collar and the unit. It made a huge difference in cycle times, and took care of some moisture problems inside the unit.

I have my temp controller sensor sitting in a small bottle of water attached to the side of the keezer. It used to just hang inside the keezer. That made a difference too.

I figured that..... So with the controller on it will be able to be set at a much warmer temperature then it is now, correct?

That's my assumption, but just wanting to make sure there isn't really any need to mess with the freezer's thermostat. I suppose one could bypass the thermostat so it is on all the time and let the external control have full effect but considering the normal operating temp of a freezer (~0F) and the desired temp for keezer or fermentation or lagering is 38 - 60F, give or take, I don't really see a need to hotwire the freezer thermostat. Just turn it cold as it will go (typically higher number) and let the external control run the show.

So it will cycle to try to keep that really cold temperature? I heard a guy on a keezer thread say his comes on just every so often. But he has a temperature controller on his at I think about 40° And I think his Keezer is done so that is not nearly as cold as what my freezer is trying to do right now because it's still just a freezer.... So his Keezer does not cycle as often, Correct?

Right, the higher the temperature differential (room - internal) the more time it takes to maintain it. Your freeze is probably set around -20F. That's 80-90F below room temp. At 40F, the delta would be only 20-30F and it will run about 1/3rd as much.

david_42 said:
Right, the higher the temperature differential (room - internal) the more time it takes to maintain it. Your freeze is probably set around -20F. That's 80-90F below room temp. At 40F, the delta would be only 20-30F and it will run about 1/3rd as much.

There was the answer I was looking for...
:)
:mug:

I have a 20 cuft that I have 14 five gallon and 2 three gallon kegs, I ran a monitor on it for a weekend, runs like clockwork 6-7 minutes every 1.2 hours. Wired my push/pull fans to come on with the heat cycle on my STR-1000 keeps my 12 tap coffin 2-3 degrees of kezzer.

passedpawn said:
Really, he just wanted to know that his earlier effort to help you wasn't wasted. It was, of course.

After rereading his earlier post, I think I read it before and understood at the time....
I think I then read some other posts and got confused or forgot.
I don't know if it happens to others but it does happen to me sometimes on forums because there're so many different opinions... Then I can only gather what sounds like the most logical people's answers and put it into action....
But no one's efforts on here are wasted in my opinion, I appreciate everyone's input.
:)

Back