Chest freezer keeps running

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h-bar

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon orange wheat in my new chest freezer with temperature controller, and the temp won't drop below 60. When I tested the controller, it would run until the temp hit 55F, and stop. I have the probe taped to the bucket, and I'm thinking since it's in the first 24h of fermentation, that the beer is giving off heat and preventing the temp from dropping. I guess this is fine, but I don't want to ruin my chest freezer in the process. Any thoughts?

Something is wrong. The chest freezer should easily cool 5 gallons of fermenting beer.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime? I am planning on going out of town tomorrow (which is why I bought this freezer in the first place - so I don't have to bribe a friend to switch out the frozen water bottles while I'm gone!) and I am worried that this thing will a) crap out and leave my beer fermenting at room temp b) run up my electric bill like none other c) burn down my apartment in the process

how long has it been fermenting? only the first few days (depending on the OG) are critical. after that, i wouldn't be concerned with it sitting at room temp. (70ish)

Back