Chest Freezer for fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kark

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am trying to find a chest freezer that will fit the Anvil 7.5 Gal bucket inside of it. All the 7cf ones I have found the interior is around 14.75"-15" depth and the dimension on the fermentor is around 15.5" with the spigot on the front. I saw a thread a while ago with a number of chest freezers for keezers but my searching ability seems to have failed me on this one, I can't find it again. Any help would be appreciated!

Prior to my current setup, I used the chest freezer fermentation chamber and my SS Brew Bucket fit in there easily. But I just compared the sizes of the Anvil vs the SSBT and the Brew bucket is only 12.5" dia. So, that's the difference.

I think this is what you may have been looking for?

Unless I am not understanding your process, I think that will be a back-wrecking exercise to lift a full fermenter over the side and down into the floor of the freezer.

Lift up above waist height, push out from your body enough to clear the wall, then down to nearly floor level again? I use a Kegmenter and when full that's like 80 pounds. I am plenty strong, but that type of motion kills my back.

Try searching for an upright freezer. The only issue you’ll have with that is you’ll need to find one where the Freon isn’t running through the shelves. Kenmore/Whirlpool make them. That’s what I use.

This is my first thoughts. And FWIW if you buy an "auto-defrost" freezer it won't have the lines in the shelves. Usually.

Lift up above waist height, push out from your body enough to clear the wall, then down to nearly floor level again? I use a Kegmenter and when full that's like 80 pounds. I am plenty strong, but that type of motion kills my back.
To each their own. I did this for a while with Carboys and an SS brew bucket and ever had an issue. However, I also used to carry a full 12 gal kettle of wort up a spiral staircase and then hoist it up on a stove to perform a kettle sour and then bring it back downstairs. To me that was a bigger PITA than lifting into the chest freezer.
The upright freezer would definitely make it easier. To each their own

I ended up just saying screw it and buying an Icemaster Max 4. Smaller footprint and it will only be used for brewing anyway so I figured might as well just buy once and not try to turn something into what I wanted when it is already available. It's a bit more than I wanted to spend but I guess spend once hopefully and not have to worry about it.

I appreciate all the input and @Rob2010SS that was the thread I was looking for.

I ended up just saying screw it and buying an Icemaster Max 4. Smaller footprint and it will only be used for brewing anyway so I figured might as well just buy once and not try to turn something into what I wanted when it is already available. It's a bit more than I wanted to spend but I guess spend once hopefully and not have to worry about it.

I appreciate all the input and @Rob2010SS that was the thread I was looking for.
That's the chiller I have as well. If you have any questions once you get it (it's pretty straightforward) feel free to reach out.

Back