Chest freezer / college fridge for fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyPA

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Trying to find a freezer or mini/college fridge for fermentation. I'm finding that the specs typically do not show internal dimensions so I'm having a hard time picking one out without being able to measure it myself.

Can anyone provide the brand/model that you use, along with the type of fermenter? Please also let me know what you're using as a heater. I'll assume everyone is using an inkbird for control.

I am trying to find one that I can fit a 6 gallon Torpedo keg into, in addition to smaller vessels.

Thanks

Also I would first and foremost look for used. In my area at least there are always a few beer fridges that pop up that they are practically giving away. Craigslist would be a good starting point.

I didn't, I did look around on Facebook marketplace and craigslist but didn't find anything. I don't want a full size fridge, and many college fridges don't allow you to remove the shelves. May end up buying new, or stick with NEIPAs on kviek all summer

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out which way to go myself. I have a 7 gal Brewbuilt conical, so to continue to use it I'd need to go to a full-size fridge or freezer. I'd like to use cornies, but I'd essentially need to a 9 gallon batch every time on the system I'm getting if I want to use 5 gal cornies. It would be good to be able to use 6 gallon cornies, but that puts me back to a full-size fridge or freezer.

I have 6 gallon torpedo in my kegerator/college size fridge..are you sure you need a full size?

I didn't, I did look around on Facebook marketplace and craigslist but didn't find anything. I don't want a full size fridge, and many college fridges don't allow you to remove the shelves. May end up buying new, or stick with NEIPAs on kviek all summer

Yeah you have to be willing to break out the sawzall and make some mods generally to the dorm size fridges unless you get lucky.

6 gallon Torpedos are 9"x27.15" They are as fat as a 5 gallon pin lock but 4" taller and 2" taller than a typical 5 gallon ball lock.

I've got two mini-fridge fermenters. The first one a ball lock doesn't fit, which it might if I altered the freezer but still too short for the 6 gallon Torpedo.

The other is a wine fridge. It is a Haier BC112G, 30 bottle wine cellar. The shelves are removable. The low part of the floor is 9.5" by 17.75", The height is 32.5". I built a shelf to level out the hump and that is ~8.5" leaving 24". It'll fit one Torpedo 6 gallon or a five gallon ball lock with the shelf out. On the shelf, I can fit a carboy in it with the airlock slightly tilted. I usually just use a SS blow off cane. Two five gallon pin lock kegs with QDs also fit on the shelf but mine are converted to ball lock QDs. There's 2" of space above the pin lock keg top. So maximum one 6 gal Torpedo or a ball lock 5 gal + one 5 gal pin lock (possibly needs ball lock posts). You could sub out any of those for something smaller in height. A small shelf would be needed as the back hump is not more than 4.25" wide. I did take the light out though.

One of those less common times a pin lock comes in handy. I have a mix of both so I'm glad I finally checked this out carefully as I was thinking I might need an on deck fridge. Two kegs in that one I could still have a lager working in the other ferm fridge.

Back