Chest freezer: cheap temp control options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiny_norman

Reaction score
I have a chest freezer with a Ranco controller which works perfectly for keeping temp down during the summer. However it's single stage and it's getting a bit chilly.

What are people doing to maintain temp in the other direction? I'm loath to replace this with an expensive two-stage controller, and there must be some options. Small heater with thermostat that anyone can recommend, or other options? I read somewhere that a low wattage light bulb will generate enough heat, but I would still need a thermostat.

If it's too cold why not use a light bulb, heating blanket, etc and set your single stage Ranco to heating setting rather than cooling?

The problem is that once I've got the temp down to where it needs to be to pitch the yeast, the yeast generate heat during early fermentation so I still need to keep be able to cool, but towards the end of fermentation I like to raise the temp for it to attenuate fully, but that's not an option when the evening night temp is 50-ish and the yeast aren't generating any more heat... so I think I still need both cooling and heating capability at the same time.

I got your solution right here because I have pretty much the same problem.

I bought a heating pad from the drug store (the kind for injuries) that has a low-med-high setting. As the fermentation begins to wind down and it can no longer maintain its own heat, I just hook up the heating pad, turn it to low, and put it near the carboy. You'll have to play with it to figure out your system, but you probably won't have to put it on anything but low and then vary the distance from the fermenter. If I set it up to be completely flush against the carboy, I can get a temp rise at least up to 75 (for belgians). If I'm just finishing up fermentation and diacetyl clean up with a typical ale yeast, I'll just place the pad nearby, or lightly touching part of the carboy. This will keep it in the 72* range.

Keep in mind that I'm continuing to use the temp controller through the freezer to make sure it doesn't hit a ceiling. Sure, it might not be the best thing to have the heater running while the freezer cools, but I find that with some practice I can get it to where the freezer is only cutting on once a day. I might be hurting the life of the heating pad, but for $20 it's not a bad deal.

Back