Quantcast

Chest Freezer and Temp Controller *WHICH* ?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

idigg

Reaction score
This might be a dumb thread, but I need help deciding what to buy. I just bought a 1 keg system from kegconnection. I'm going to eventually go to a 3 keg system with a 3 way manifold, so I need to have a chest freezer that holds 3 ball lock kegs, and I would love to be able to lager a 6 gallon better bottle. Will I need bigger that 7cf freezer?

Any deals at lowes, home depot, menards, sam's, costco anyone know of?

Will I need a temp controller to keep the kegs at 38*F? Anyone have a decent controller for around $50?

Thanks in advance.

Justin

StodBrewing

Reaction score
I use the STC-1000. Took me less than an hour to hook up, minimal wiring and got it off ebay shipped for just under 20 bucks.

StodBrewing

Reaction score
Also, I don't think a 7cf chest freezer will be big enough. Maybe 3 kegs if you store co2 bottle outside. I don't see 3 kegs and a carboy fitting in there. Keep checking Craig's list, garage sales, estate sales. Can grab fairly nice chest freezers relatively cheap.

day_trippr

"Now brewing exclusively with Hydrohydroxic Acid"
Reaction score
One consideration is that Ranco controllers lack an anti-short-cycle function to protect the compressor, a critical short coming afaic...

Cheers!

Hello

Reaction score
Also, I don't think a 7cf chest freezer will be big enough. Maybe 3 kegs if you store co2 bottle outside. I don't see 3 kegs and a carboy fitting in there. Keep checking Craig's list, garage sales, estate sales. Can grab fairly nice chest freezers relatively cheap.
My kenmore 7 cu ft holds 5 kegs and a co2 tank. I think it'll hold 3 and a carboy fine. Check the spec thread, it's so helpful.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/chest-freezer-specs-layouts-377518/