Chest Freezer and Temp Controller Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarolinaMatt

Reaction score
Hello all-

Making an attempt at my first fermentation chamber for ales and want to try a lager as well.

I want to make sure I'm getting a temp controller that works with the chest freezer. It says the Max Wattage is : 1100W(110V)/2200W(220V) and the freezer say it is 115V. Do you guys think these will work together? Did not want to get a controller that cannot handle the chest freezer. Both links posted below -- Thanks all!

I'm for sure buying this temp controller by ink bird -- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BV24MUO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I'm looking at buying this chest freezer via craigslist -- https://charlotte.craigslist.org/app/d/holiday-5-cu-ft-chest-freezer/6455632536.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Great to hear! Have you had good results and happy with it? Easily able to ferment mid 60s and get down to lagering temps? I plan to get a fermentation heater blanket for the heat source.

They should work fine together, I use the same controller on a much larger freezer.
Great to hear! Have you had good results and happy with it? Easily able to ferment mid 60s and get down to lagering temps? I plan to get a fermentation heater blanket for the heat source.

I use mine on my kegerator, but it is easy to use. As far as what temps it will do, well, that depends on your chest freezer and not the controller. Yes it will hold a low setpoint, but if your freezer won't hold temp below 50, a controller won't help.

Be sure to set your freezer setpoint as low as it will go, and use the controller to run the freezer.

I use mine on my kegerator, but it is easy to use. As far as what temps it will do, well, that depends on your chest freezer and not the controller. Yes it will hold a low setpoint, but if your freezer won't hold temp below 50, a controller won't help.

Be sure to set your freezer setpoint as low as it will go, and use the controller to run the freezer.
Okay thanks for the tip! I would assume it can go to around Zero being a chest freezer... right?

If you have the space, you might want to consider a 7.0 chest freezer. I started with a 5.0, and then realized quick that I should've got the 7.0 freezer.

If you have the space, you might want to consider a 7.0 chest freezer. I started with a 5.0, and then realized quick that I should've got the 7.0 freezer.
I'll need to measure my space in the garage...I'm looking to put a 6 gallon plastic carboy in it. What could you all fit in your's when you had a 5?

I would fit two 6 gallon buckets, or 1 Carboy and a bucket, and that's it. Now I have room for some 1 gallon trials with the bigger freezer.

You'll probably only get 1 fermenter in a 5.0cf freezer. I have an older Whirlpool 9.0cf freezer and can fit 2 fermenters in it, but only because the compressor hump is in one corner and not the entire side.

Check out https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/chest-freezer-specs-and-layouts.377518/ for sizing and what will fit. Some of the models may be old, but the size specs are the same for a lot of models out there.

No, but the bucket on the hump had to use a blow off tube. Couldn’t close the lid with an airlock on the bucket.

Back