Cherry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrlemons

Reaction score
Hello guys. About one and a half weeks ago,a friend and I went cherry picking at a rural farm (4 hrs drive one way!). Since the drive was so long,we stripped the trees of as many cherries as humanly possible in 2 hours,and also bought three small bottles of cherry juice.

One week later,one bottle started fizzing up. The bottle itself had only been opened 2-3 days ago. I took one small sip of it,and the juice/wine tastes suprisingly good.

Opinions?I am intrigued by what could be my very first bottle of homemade wine,while slightly worried about all the unknowns in it.

image.jpg

The cherry juice has started to ferment, by the sounds of it, no yeast was added so the natural/wild yeast is doing the job. At this point, leave it in a warm area, Can you get an airlock on it, or maybe a balloon with a pinhole, if the CO2 that is getting produced during fermentation doesn't have a place to exit, it can become a Cherry bomb...lol....I think that the juice would permanently stain all that it comes into contact with.
As it ferments all of the natural sugars it will become more tart and you may need to add sugar to it, but we can cross that bridge when the time comes.

I am by no means close to a pro at this, but if it was me, I'd dump all 3 in a bigger jug with a couple cups of sugar and an airlock and let it work. No sense in having 1 little bitty bottle of wine. Sounds like its going to work to me.

Back