Cherry Query

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyA

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm think of making up a batch of "Cherries In The Snow" from the joy of home brewing. There's a brewpub in my area that makes a pretty good cherry ale and co-workers have been asking me to attempt one. Since tart cherries are out of season and I've heard bad things about the artificial extract I've considered the canned pie filling. I guess my question is if I use the canned stuff and with only the risidual syrup would that work well? The ingredients are: tart pitted cherries, water, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, modified corn starch, red 40(dye?) citric acid, erythorbic acid. From what I've learned so far, corn sugars will mess with my ABV and probably more than I'm aware of. Any input would be appreciated. -Thanks

Depending on where you are located, you might be able to find fresh frozen sour cherries. I know I can get 'em here in WI.

Usually they are still packaged with added sugar, but at least you'd avoid the red 40. Also, it's possible to calculate the amount of added sugar by comparing the volume/weight of the package to the nutritional data/serving size on the label.

Back