cherry milk stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rbeer

Reaction score
10 lbs pale malt Maris otter
12oz caramel/crystal malt 120l (120 srm)
12oz roasted barley (300 SRM)
8oz Black (patent) malt (500 SRM)
8oz chocolate malt (350 SRM)
8oz coffee malt (150.6 srm)
8oz flaked oats (1.0 SRM)
16oz milk sugar (lactose)
.25oz maltodextrin (3.0 srm)
.25 tsp Irish moss (boil 10mins)
1oz Galena [12.50%] boil 60 mins
.50oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%]boil 10min
.50oz Crystal [3.5%] boil 5 mins
16oz cocoa nibs @ flame out
1lb sweet cherry puree @ flame out
2lbs sweet cherry whole in secondary
1pkg Irish ale yeast (white labs #wlp004)
1pkg SafAle English ale
3 vanilla beans suspended in secondary

20150501_055215.jpg

10 lbs pale malt Maris otter
12oz caramel/crystal malt 120l (120 srm)
12oz roasted barley (300 SRM)
8oz Black (patent) malt (500 SRM)
8oz chocolate malt (350 SRM)
8oz coffee malt (150.6 srm)
8oz flaked oats (1.0 SRM)
16oz milk sugar (lactose)
.25oz maltodextrin (3.0 srm)

The malt bill looks like too many different malts to me. I do a lot of clones and many really good beers have 2-4 different malts.
Your malt bill has a lot going on, adding to that, the beer will have cherries, vanilla beans and cocoa nibs, if its too busy all those flavors will be muddled.
My 2 cents: make the crystal 10 oz 80L, delete the roasted barley & coffee malt.
Also, on experimental batches I like to make smaller batch, like 2/5-3 gallons, and then re-brew with changes until I'm happy with it.
I'm not sure if the vanilla bean is going to compliment the cherry, cocoa nibs and the malt bill, I'd taste the beer before I added the vanilla bean.
If you delete the barley and coffee malts, on rebrew, add one or the other so you can see what the change does to you overall flavor profile.
Overall interesting recipe, good luck!

I guess the title should say "Cherry Chocolate Milk Stout" that's what I'm going for. I thought it was a little busy so that's why I asked. As for the vanilla, I don't believe it is used for a prominent flavor, but instead a compliment to the chocolate?! At least that's what I've read on others posts... I'll try doing a few variations in 1 gal jugs and see how they turn out, thanks for the input!

Back