Cherry Melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurblyBear

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been working on my first brew in a while, a cherry melomel. I have some slight experience brewing beer. After doing all my research, I modified a recipe to what I figured would be my liking.

10 lbs honey (7.5 clover and 2.5 blackberry)
Approx 3.5 gal water
6 lbs tart cherries, frozen, thawed and mashed
10g 71b yeast, rehydrated
3 tsp yeast nutrient (LD Carlson)
OG: 1.100

That's my recipe off the top of my head. I kept a complete log for future reference.

My concern is that I took a reading tonight and got a SG of 1.002, after about 6 days of primary. I figure that at 13-14% abv. Is anyone else seeing 71b work that quickly? Where can I expect to end up after 2 more weeks of primary? I also took my OG reading before pitching my yeast. The amount of water I used to rehydrate was pretty small.

I took a sample to taste, it's very alcohol and cherry forward. Honey flavor is in a distant third. That's all fine with me, I'm thinking of doing secondary on top of some more cherries. Hopefully end up with something beautiful by Christmas. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20190421_011810.jpg
    20190421_011810.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
Secondary on additional cherries will definately put the cherries front and center. Should be good or ok by Christmas 2019 but very good Christmas 2020.

Thanks guys, I might have to let a few bottles mellow out for longer than I expected

Back