Fruit Beer Cherry Bourbon Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smit70136

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
N/A
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
N/A
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 65
Additional Fermentation
3 weeks in keg
Tasting Notes
Very strong on the bourbon and vanilla initially but well balanced after a few weeks.
Kegged my first attempt at this last week and can't stay out of it. The bourbon and vanilla are quite strong but fade gracefully with time. Personally, I like the heat from the bourbon - helps balance the vanilla and cherry flavors. You may decide to reduce some of these to taste.

8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)
12 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
1 lbs 4.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.10 %] - Boil 45.0 min
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [7.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min
8.00 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 20.0 mins)
4.00 oz Lactose (Boil 15.0 mins)
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [7.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)
4.00 Items Vanilla Bean (Secondary 21.0 days)
2.50 lb Dark Sweet Cherries (Secondary 21.0 days)
16.00 oz. High quality bourbon - Makers 46, etc.

Mash in w/ 20 qts. @ 164 for a target temp of 152 for 60 minutes.
Fly sparge w 15.2 qts @ 168 (I always sparge as slowly as possible)

Muddle the cherries, split the vanilla beans, and combine both with the bourbon in an airtight container on or just before brew day. Add this heavenly mixture to the secondary. Word to the wise - retain the cherries and perhaps con your SWMBO to use them in cherry bourbon balls or cherry swirl bread. Almost as good as the beer!

This looks like a dessert especially if made into an imperial size ris.

The grain bill is already almost 16 lbs. pretty sure that's at least a Double Stout.

Looks amazing.

That does sound good. I may have to make this one.

The "sweet dark cherries", are they a canned or frozen product? I'm not familiar. Please enlighten me.

The grain bill is already almost 16 lbs. pretty sure that's at least a Double Stout.

Looks amazing.

Add about 6 more lbs of grain and bam ris territory. But as is prob a real nice drinkeable stout other than a sipper ris.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1423192744.641514.jpg
Enjoying some right now in fact. Delicious...
The cherries were purchased fresh at the local Kroger and were labeled as "dark sweet". I don't know anything about cherries so I just took it at face value. If I change anything I might reduce the vanilla a bit. Could add some more grain to increase the OG but I'm happy with 1072 down to 1016. Best dessert for a cold night.

Is the cherry flavor noticeable? Most folks recommend 2 pounds per gallon in this recipe has 1 pound per gallon. Anyone amp it up to the 2 pound level yet?

Latest posts

Back