Blonde Ale Cherri-Oat Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmessina

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale US-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
5 gal
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
60 min
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 70 deg.
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
20 days @ 70 deg.
Tasting Notes
Smooth and creamy with definite citrus notes
I wanted to experiment with oats as a base malt. I couldn't get a good feel on the DP of oat malt (most references say 0, but some say it has enough to convert itself), so I ended up adding wheat to ensure conversion. This was my first attempt at all grain brewing and I used a BIAB process. Mash efficiency was 60% and attenuation came out to 74%. This was also the first time I’ve tried a dry yeast (US-05), so I wasn’t sure what to expect there.

Recipe
-------
3.0 lb wheat malt (Wyermann)
3.0 lb oat malt (Thomas Fawcett)
1.0 lb golden naked oats
1.5 lb corn, flaked
0.5 lb lactose @ 15 min
1.0 lb honey @ 0 min
1.0 oz liberty 4.6% @ 60 min
1.0 whirlfloc tablet @ 15 min
1.0 Safale US-05

Mash schedule
----------------
2.0 gal @ 125 deg. for 20 min (protein rest)
add 1.5 gal @ 154 deg. for 60 min (saccrification rest)
transfer bag to 2.5 gal @ 170 deg. for 15 min (batch sparge)

Aside from a little chill haze, I couldn’t be happier with this beer. I think it’s my new favorite. It’s crystal clear, very smooth, and has a great flavor. There is a definite citrus note to the flavor, almost like a Blue Moon. I’m assuming that’s the hops coming through.

I took it to my local brew supply store and their expert was blown away. With the corn and lactose, I was thinking the style would be more of a cream ale, but he thought it was a blonde. Who am I to argue? Whatever it is, it's a keeper. Anyway, he thinks I should enter it into their next contest. We’ll have to see about that. I only brewed a half batch given all of the unknowns. They only need 1 bottle, but if I make the top 12, I need 5 gal for the beer fest 5 days later and at this point there really isn't time to get another batch ready. Maybe they’d be ok with just giving me comments on the one bottle.

:mug:

Back