Chemicals...PSA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightshade

Reaction score
We work with a lot of different cleaning chemicals in our hobby and I think at a certain point we marginalize what they are...chemicals.

I have been working daily with detergent, descaler and sanitizer for a while now as a brewer by trade. I always was careful with them but aside from minor irritation here and there never gave them much though, until today.

Today started out very average...harvest yeast, clean and sanitize serving vessel, transfer beer then clean and sanitize fermenter, very average for a work day. Average until I went to sanitize the fermenter, as I was climbing the ladder to drop in the sanitizer (Purisan) my ladder shifted ever so slightly which was enough for me to try and balance myself. In my left hand was the Purisan in a measuring cup and when I shifted it splashed...a ross the left side of my face, my left arm and hand as well as my left shoulder all got a good dousing. Luckily none got in my eye and I didn't fall.

Now if you have ever gotten Purisan on your skin then you know it has a way of quickly absorbing all the moisture from your skin for a bit and turns it chalky white, which is very uncomfortable because it feels like it is pulling your skin very tight. So to neutralize it you use vinegar, which we have plenty of in the restaraunt and I used liberally.

A long winded cautionary tale to remind my brewing brothers and sisters that we work and hobby with many items that if we get complacent, can and will remind us of what they can do so be careful and when creating your masterpieces and not just with the obvious things like burners and hot wort.

Back