Chelsea Brewing Company in NYC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pschof

Reaction score
I went to this place a while back for a few beers. It was beautiful-- right on the Hudson. And the beer was pretty good--- I liked their imperial stout. So my wife and I were back in NYC and went back for dinner.

Whoa. The food was sooooo bad. Bad enough to ruin the beer. I left a half beer on the table. The food made me mildly sick. It was all horribly bland, or positively bad. Really disappointing that a place like that would ruin the whole thing with such terrible, terrible food. :(

Heartland Brewery has decent food...not great though. There are good beer bars in the city though, no need to get snagged by one of those tourist traps. Next time you are in town try Blind Tiger. If you like Belgians and want good food, try Petite Abeille (1/2 price Belgians on Monday), or Burp Castle (good belgians) which happens to be next to the Famous McSorleys (claims to be the oldest bar in the country).

Went to Burp Castle this trip, and thought it was great. Ginger Man is the other one I found that I liked a lot (went there a few months ago).

I also have been to Heartland. The beer was fine. Nothing to rave about. No complaints, though.

I love McSorley's!

I agree with you on Chelsea's food. I was there in January or February for a homebrew competition and ate a burger while I waited for the results (which were no where near the time they said) and my stomach was rumbling by the time I left. I was in pain for the rest of the night.

They had a decent red ale though.

I forgot about Ginger Man. I used to go to the Ginger Man in Connecticut and they had great food. My top choice is still Petite Abeille though, on Monday. Can't beat a half price Trappiste!

Where is Petite Abeille?

Heartland has a hamburger place that has good hamburgers, which is a good thing, it is on 43rd St. between 6th and Broadway. I agree that their beer is okay, at best. Down the block is BXL, a Belgian restaurant with a decent bar, it's always crowded. I like Gingerman but visitors should be aware that you should not go expecting dinner. They do have a nice pretzel!

Back