Cheese Safety- Fresh Cheddar Curds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkorona

Reaction score
I have been doing a ton of reading the past few days about cheesemaking, and successfully made some fresh cheddar curds last night! My issue is everything I read talks about the importance of sterilization and avoiding cross contamination- I did my best to keep things clean, but in a small apartment with 3 cats over a 6 hour period, who knows....

The cheese tastes good but since I've never made it I don't know what potential contamination issues could arise- I am not aging the cheese, simply eating it over the next few days, but want to share with family/friends, but would hate to give them bad cheese- anyone know anything to look for with fresh cheddar curds specifically that would indicate they are bad?

I am sure I am being paranoid, but any input is helpful!

Why not make a few batches before you start giving them away? I gave bunches of beer away when I first started brewing and ended up regretting it because it wasn't my best work that they got first impressions on. I would think any sour notes in the curds would be an indication of something funky going on.

Back