Cheese cloth for steeping grains???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cs89

Reaction score
I went out yesterday and spent 4 hours at the local homebrew supply store/ brewery soaking up information about brewing and trying some interesting brews (one was a scotch ale mixed with mead, very interesting) and I bought everything I needed for my milk stout (extract). Well everything except the muslin bag for my grains :(

Would it work if I used cheese cloth to make a bag for my steeping grains? I would like to brew today and since the supply store is closed on Sundays I would have to wait until tomorrow.

Also, I was contemplating trying the late extract addition for my stout, the recipe is based off of brewing classic styles book and he advocates a full boil. I can not do a full boil with my equipment so should I do the late DME addition to mimic the better hop extraction of a full boil?

Thanks!

To all of the fathers out there, HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!

You could go to home depot or lowe's & get a nylon paint strainer bag. I like those better,as they're easier to clean & use. Late extract additions are great for getting the right color & little or no maillard reactions that darken the beer & give off flavors.

Yes, cheese cloth should be just fine. Just make sure you tie it off so you aren't leaking grains and don't let it touch the bottom of the pot and scorch the bag.

Edit:

Although uniondr is right - nylon paint strainer bags are perfect if that's a possibility for you.

Cheesecloth is tough to use, as the holes are pretty big. I'd suggest an old pair of women's nylon knee-hi stockings or hose (clean, of course), or a paint strainer bag (under $5 for two), or even a thin pillowcase.

Yes, do the late extract addition, even for a stout, especially when you can't do a full boil. It will give less of a "cooked extract" taste. I'd add the bulk of the extract at flame out.

Ok Thanks everyone for the advice I will drop by home depot and check out the nylon bags!

Cheers!

Update:

The home supply store charged for the yeast but did not include it... oops! haha

Why not throw some water in a pot and steep it, then strain it into your boil kettle? thats how i always do it.

Why not throw some water in a pot and steep it, then strain it into your boil kettle? thats how i always do it.

Strain through a colander, then pour the drawn liquid again through the grain bed in the colander to clarify it, getting rid of all the grain dust and particles (lautering with vorlauf).

Put the now fairly clear steeped liquid in boil kettle.

Then stir the grains up with some hot water and repeat the straining (sparging).

Back