Cheers to beer filters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briewer2

Reaction score
So I just started kegging, and actually did my first batch last night. I brewed an IPA (OG about 1.067), primary and then transfered to a secondary. After a few days I transfered again to a corny keg, purged co2 and stuck it in the fridge for 24hrs. I recently bought a simple plate filter system from morebeer, so i sanitized 2 more cornies, and sent the beer through the filter twice (once through a rough filter, then a finer one, after running some star san though both). I was never worried about chill haze when I bottle condition, so I was skeptical at first. But as soon as I poured the first glass of crystal clear beer I was hooked. I could have read a book through my pint glass, and I even convinced myself that the beer tasted crisper, although I'm sure thats BS. I know its strictly an aesthetics thing, but Im likin it.

cheers

Nice, congratulations! I'm thinking about making a filter setup too. One with two whole house filters in line so I only have to push it through once and sanitize one keg. It seems like it might leave a lot of beer behind though. I'm not sure it will be worth it though only for looks. From what I read though, if you use too small of a filter (~<0.5micron) you can strip flavor out of the beer.

It seems like it might leave a lot of beer behind though. I'm not sure it will be worth it though only for looks. From what I read though, if you use too small of a filter (~<0.5micron) you can strip flavor out of the beer.

Those were definitely two main concerns of mine. The instructions said the unit leaked beer, but I found that if i tightened it pretty well (most home brewers are pretty handy and can tell when it is too tight) and didn't push is with to much psi it didn't leak at all really. But i only used about 4 psi because I didn't care how long it took, although it only took about 10min. Then i ran it until it was pushing co2 through the filter and I only found about 4 oz in the filter housing.
As far as stripping flavors, i used two filters, 2 micron and .7 micron. I tasted the beer in the primary, secondary, keg before any filter, after the 2 micron and after the .7 micron and didn't notice any real difference, other that the beer tasting a bit crisper which was probably my imagination.

Back