Checking SG In Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirdGen

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch on 4/27 and now it seems that signs of active fermentation have stopped (there's no active bubbling in the airlock). I was thinking of checking the specific gravity to see how far it has fallen, but then remembered the protective layer of CO2 over my beer. If I take the lid off of my bucket and take a sample to read (I use a Thief), will most of the CO2 escape or would I be safe doing this?

My other option is to just not worry and let it sit for another couple weeks, since I wasn't going to secondary. Just wanted to make sure that it's normal for the fermentation to have slowed/stopped by now? Thanks!

an airlock is not a fermentation indicator its a pressure release valve and nothing more.

i recommend the RDWHAHB approach to this situation. just leave it alone your beer will be fine. its normal for fermentation to slow after a day or two. i assume you are brewing in a bucket. if so its perfectly normal for the airlock to stop bubbling. the pressure is escaping around the lid of the bucket.

If I were you, I'd give it another week before taking a gravity reading. Even though you're not seeing airlock activity (which, as Tipsy said is not a good indicator) the yeast is still doing it's job.

Now, to address the other part of your question. The simple act of taking the lid off the bucket, taking your measurement sample, and putting the lid back on, isn't risking much in terms of harming your beer(short of dropping things in bucket,etc).

My meager advice, next weekend, take a sample to measure, wait two or three days and take another. If the number remains the same, you'll know that fermentation has pretty much stopped.

Back