Checking final gravity. I quit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmfa200

Reaction score
Is there anyone else out there that doesn't check their final gravity?

I've only done 20 batches, but since the beginning I've always hit my FG within a couple of points. I haven't had a problem with attenuation yet.
For the last 4 batches I've just said screw it.

I'm more concerned with taste than hitting numbers.

I do understand there are challenges with big beers, but as of right now I have no desire to brew high gravity beers. I'm more in the 5% to 7% range.

As I'm only about a year into brewing, I still check my numbers. But, I can see why you wouldn't. As long as your confident in your system/process, and aren't looking solely for maximum ABV (which isn't the purpose of homebrewing,) I see nothing wrong with not checking your numbers.
Are you making new recipes every time, or are you duplicating previous brews?

That's the joy of this "hobby," you can make it whatever you want, and get as technical as you want. If YOU are enjoying your beer, that's all that counts!

I don't find it to be that big of a hassle...I like to know if my beer is actually done fermenting or if it is stuck or what not. That can indicate something wasn't spot on in my process.

I usually just let my beer sit and ferment for a month and then check my FG once it's bottling time, this lets me record my FG for replicating a beer if future batches and it lets me know that fermentation is done. However I have forgot to check FG a few times without disaster ensuing.

I have done 109 batches over the years,,I don't check fg unless I am making something "New",,I believe that once you have you process "in control" you won't have to fool with "the numbers" healthy yeast and temperature control seem to be key to me.....:mug:

I forget sometimes, and then remember when it's not in my notebook, so I take a sample out of a conditioned bottle. I try to agitate the carbonation out of it, so not to get false readings.

Back