Checking a corney on an airplane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNish

Reaction score
Is it possible to check a full cornelius keg as luggage on an airplane? It should be under 50lb full, but if not I could just drink it down to be exactly under 50lb. The weakest link in the keg is the pressure release valve, but that could be taped down someway. Just wondering if it is even legal or if I should be worried about it being damaged or tampered with. Has anyone done this before? Should it be packaged some way?

...if they're empty.

Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carry-on ONLY if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside.

This would be an interesting question, call the airline and then post their response. I think others may be tempted to try this. I'm not sure how some cop may react if he sees you carrying it into the terminal though...

Update: Airline referred me to TSA. I could not get a live person on the TSA number provided, so submitted a question online. I'm awaiting feedback.

Good catch NorCalAngler; I didn't understand the cylinders had to be empty, I just thought they had to be disconnected.

Yes I will be flying domestic from CA to GA. Alcoholic beverages are allowed under a number of requirements: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1189.shtm

Please enlighten me as to how you ship a full corny keg of beer across the country. I have been trying to figure this out.

There has to be a way. Hell, Dogfish Head shipped kegs to Australia and it didn't look like it was done through a distributor. From what I've seen on the Internet you can do it through Greyhound.

There has to be a way. Hell, Dogfish Head shipped kegs to Australia and it didn't look like it was done through a distributor. From what I've seen on the Internet you can do it through Greyhound.

I was just thinking about this Brewmasters episode too. They had to have used an airfreight service to get it to NZ it that tight of a time frame. Otherwise you ship it in a ocean freighter with temp control. Montanaandy

My companies guidelines....

Alcoholic beverages in retail packaging may be carried as checked baggage.

For alcoholic beverages less than 24 percent alcohol by volume (including most wines and beers) there are no restrictions on the amount that may be accepted in checked baggage or purchased after completing security screening at the checkpoint (Duty Free). If traveling internationally, alcoholic beverages may subject to customs limitations in the arrival country and transporting alcoholic beverages may subject to country regulations.

For alcoholic beverages between 24 and 70 percent alcohol by volume there is a limit of 5 liters (1.3 gallons) per customer that may be accepted in checked baggage, or that may be purchased after completing security screening at the checkpoint (Duty Free). Packaging must be in receptacles smaller than 5 liters. Alcoholic beverages more than 70 percent alcohol by volume will not be accepted.

All alcoholic beverages must be packed to prevent breakage. Continental shall not be liable for breakage or spillage of alcoholic beverages. Normal checked baggage allowance limits, excess fees and carry-on limits apply.

Up to 3.4 oz. (100 ml) of an alcoholic beverage may be taken through the security checkpoint is provided it is less than 70 percent alcohol by volume, in a container that is 3.4 oz. or smaller, and in is carried in a plastic zip-top bag.

If you are flying to the U.S. and have a connecting flight, even duty free liquids that meet U.S. requirements will not be permitted through U.S. security checkpoints. If you have a connecting flight, liquid duty free purchases must be placed in your checked baggage. Since you will be required to reclaim your checked bags prior to passing through customs inspection, you can place duty free liquids into your bags and recheck it for your connection.

Note: Alcohol transported on an airplane cannot be consumed on board

My real concern would be how would the pressure affect the keg?

I don't know TSA's take on the issue, but I personally would not like being in a plane that I knew had a 5 gallon keg of who knows what riding along in the cargo hold. That just sounds like an open invitation to blowing the plane up.

I don't know TSA's take on the issue, but I personally would not like being in a plane that I knew had a 5 gallon keg of who knows what riding along in the cargo hold. That just sounds like an open invitation to blowing the plane up.

How is it different from someone stuffing 50 pounds of explosives in a suitcase?

My companies guidelines....

Alcoholic beverages in retail packaging...

That there eliminates a corny because it is not "retail packaging" at least with respect to Contential which I am certain is a policy which is also adherednto by the other airlines. Montanaandy

Techinically speaking I am sure it is illegal to consume homebrew outside the home it was produced in so pressure, etc. is a pretty moot point.
DFH can do it because they carry a federal license to manufacture beer.

I thought they didn't even allow liquids over like 3 ounces or something like that..

That's for carry-on.

As far as checking it, the way I understand it a corny keg has to have some pressure to remain closed, correct? So I doubt they'd let you fly with it. Also, I have no idea what effect the altitude/pressure change of flying in the unpressurized cargo hold of a passenger jet will have on it. Can you imagine the faces of all your fellow passengers when they luggage comes off the carousel covered in homebrew?

Techinically speaking I am sure it is illegal to consume homebrew outside the home it was produced in so pressure, etc. is a pretty moot point.

It's not illegal in California. It is specifically allowed to remove homebrew from the home for tastings, competitions, and judging. I'm not sure about other states.

if thats true then 80%+ of the members on this board are breaking the law regularly. I know i would be if that was the case. I regularly haul 4 cornies out to the desert with me for long camping/wheeling weekends. Give homebrew as gifts, take some to my LHBS for tastings, take a keg to a buddies house for a party, sending brew out to comps, etc.

back on topic, i think you would get a lot of funny looks taking a big silver cylinder thru an airport. I foresee being body slammed by a pile of security gaurds and the hounds being released. Also, the belly of the plane is usually not pressure regulated like the passenger cabins are, so the pressures it would be exposed to would be pretty extreme

That law varies state to state.

Back on topic, I have a very hard time believing that A) whatever airline you're flying and B) TSA are going to be cool with a full keg.

That law varies state to state.

Back on topic, I have a very hard time believing that A) whatever airline you're flying and B) TSA are going to be cool with a full keg.

Agree. Also add in the Feds (ATF Bureau) which would likely frown on you carrying alcohol that has not be prepped in retail packaging and which has not had taxes imposed/paid. Don't know if you would be able to ship it commercially (UPS, etc.) because you are engaging in interstate commerce unless you had the proper licensing. Montanaandy

Agree. Also add in the Feds (ATF Bureau) which would likely frown on you carrying alcohol that has not be prepped in retail packaging and which has not had taxes imposed/paid. Don't know if you would be able to ship it commercially (UPS, etc.) because you are engaging in interstate commerce unless you had the proper licensing. Montanaandy

As far as I know, UPS and Fed Ex only will ship alcohol if you have a license to do so.

http://www.fedex.com/us/freight/rulestariff/prohibited_articles.html
http://www.ups.com/wine

Ok, I just flew back from Chicago with 10 bottles of Two Brothers beer in my checked baggage(two 12 packs minus the 2 bottles I drank in my hotel room). I checked the TSA's site and found this: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/holiday.shtm which covers beer and says is should be checked, not carried on the plane, however it doesn't cover kegs.

However, as far as the transporting liquor across state lines, I didn't have any issues brining my beer from IL to MN. And my suit case full of beer was the first time I have ever had the TSA check my suit case. When I got it back my lock was missing and there was a note from the TSA(preprinted we opened your bag note). All of my beer was still there and nothing was missing, if it was illegal to cross statelines I have a feeling that would have been confiscated on the spot.

I am not a lawyer, but I don't think the crossing state line thing is applicable for personal consumption, maybe if you were crossing state lines with a truck full of beer to sell in your bar or liquor store......though I could be wrong.

All of my beer was still there and nothing was missing, if it was illegal to cross statelines I have a feeling that would have been confiscated on the spot.

I am not a lawyer, but I don't think the crossing state line thing is applicable for personal consumption, maybe if you were crossing state lines with a truck full of beer to sell in your bar or liquor store......though I could be wrong.

Right, but that was commercially brewed beer in retail packaging. Not the same as homebrew.

Ok, I just flew back from Chicago with 10 bottles of Two Brothers beer in my checked baggage(two 12 packs minus the 2 bottles I drank in my hotel room). I checked the TSA's site and found this: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/holiday.shtm which covers beer and says is should be checked, not carried on the plane, however it doesn't cover kegs.

However, as far as the transporting liquor across state lines, I didn't have any issues brining my beer from IL to MN. And my suit case full of beer was the first time I have ever had the TSA check my suit case. When I got it back my lock was missing and there was a note from the TSA(preprinted we opened your bag note). All of my beer was still there and nothing was missing, if it was illegal to cross statelines I have a feeling that would have been confiscated on the spot.

Again, it has to do with the licensing and packaging. You were transporting bottles of beer in retail packaging that has had state and federal alcohol taxes paid. I do this all the time with wine and beer, as do countless others - no problem there. However, shipping beer in non-retail packaging (corny) and particularly not having paid taxes on it is another matter altogether. I am an attorney but I am not familiar with the federal laws in this area (I do know the laws governing homebrew/alcohol production in Montana). Obviously foreign beer on tap at the local bar is shipped from overseas all the time. Distributors have to pay taxes on it. Not certain whether it is shipped in bulk and then placed into kegs or how it is transported though. Montanandy

Evidently this guy has checked kegs before with no problems. Still haven't heard back from TSA, I suspect I won't until Monday.

Also, I don't think pressure is anything to be worried about with kegs in cargo. I've checked homebrew bottles before (twelve 22's in a large box), had no problem with TSA or the airlines with the bottles, and there was no busted glass. So this indicates that it is fine to ship homebrew across state borders and there is some pressure in cargo hold, or at least enough that the bottles didn't burst. Considering that corneys can easily hold up to 100psi, I highly doubt there will be any explosions.

Evidently this guy has checked kegs before with no problems. Still haven't heard back from TSA, I suspect I won't until Monday.

Also, I don't think pressure is anything to be worried about with kegs in cargo. I've checked homebrew bottles before (twelve 22's in a large box), had no problem with TSA or the airlines with the bottles, and there was no busted glass. So this indicates that it is fine to ship homebrew across state borders and there is some pressure in cargo hold, or at least enough that the bottles didn't burst. Considering that corneys can easily hold up to 100psi, I highly doubt there will be any explosions.

Interesting. The post was dated Sept. 2009 so it will be interesting to see if the TSA has changed their stance/position subsequent to the "printer cartridge event" and the subsequent tightening of security at US airports. I also noticed that the keg was not being shipped as a keg per se but was inside of a suitcase (they were shipping 3 gal kegs).

In any event I personally would certainly not take this as carte blanche to ship/carry homebrew across state lines. Homebrew in bottles would not set off an alarm because most people are not familiar with homebrewing and bottling. Transporting a keg is another matter altogether. Further, the TSA is worried about whether you are trying to smuggle something dangerous onto the plane and not whether you have paid the applicable taxes.

The fact of the matter is that you are still engaging in interstate commerce per se. If the ATF gets wind and gets involved you would likely be in some serious S%$# and would be facing fines at the very least. Montanaandy

if thats true then 80%+ of the members on this board are breaking the law regularly. I know i would be if that was the case. I regularly haul 4 cornies out to the desert with me for long camping/wheeling weekends. Give homebrew as gifts, take some to my LHBS for tastings, take a keg to a buddies house for a party, sending brew out to comps, etc.

We already know it is against the law in Oregon to remove homebrew from the home.
Reasearching briefly here: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/government-affairs/statutes/united-states
it also seems it is illegal in Washington, but not in California. It isn't really enforced in Washington and wasn't in Oregon until this summer when some egghead called and asked the liquor board about a competition.
So, in addition to what TSA might have to say, it might also be prudent to make sure there won't be any staties hanging out when you arrive.

Back