Check valve for blow off rig?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
I use 6 gallon PET carboys in my brewery, and I have had a couple of instances, when I have been too lazy to switch the blow of rigging to a standard airlock, and have had some major suck-back siphoning of all of my Star-San solution in my blow off container.

I use standard 3-piece airlocks with 1/2" silicone hose inserted over the inner airlock tube as my blow-off rigging.

Does anyone know of a check-valve that i could place inline that would save future batches from my procrastination of switching over from blow-off rig to airlock?

Any info would be grateful.

Just don't use so much Star-san. If there isn't enough to fill the tube it can't be sucked in; the siphon will break. I use a small bucket and one of the large diameter hoses. With an inch of Star-san the most it can suck back is halfway up the tube then - blurp - it comes crashing back into the bucket. You could use thinner tubing like you are if you vent it into a cup. Just fill your hose halfway, and then use that to fill your tumbler or similar glass. Keep it at that level in the glass when fermentation is slowing down and the yeast isn't coming so fast any more.

Back