Check sg after first racking and cider is locked in carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_italian_cider_maker

Reaction score
Hi all again.
I searched in the forum but I wasn't able to find anything related...

I've read the book of claude jolicoeur and he suggests to periodically (at least two time before the final rack) check the sg after the first racking, while the cider is in the carboys locked with air locks.

Well... That's make sense till he also wrote that the cider shouldn't never come in contact with air while it's in the secondary fermentation.

So... How can I measure the sg without letting air come in contact with cider?

This problem is mind blowing for me...

I bulk age my ciders for 4-5 months. I don't keep checking SG because I ferment it dry, and it is finished long before the 4-5 months is up. But if you want to bottle right away, checking SG is good to be sure that fermentation is finished.

I bulk age my ciders for 4-5 months. I don't keep checking SG because I ferment it dry, and it is finished long before the 4-5 months is up. But if you want to bottle right away, checking SG is good to be sure that fermentation is finished.
Right, raptor99.
I'm choosing to make it dry or sweet so maybe I will need to check it to stop the fermentation at the right sg value.

But the problem is how to check it without letting air come in contact with the cider?
To check it I need to remove the cap with the airlock, get a sample and then close again. This procedure let the air come in contact with cider...

Back