Check my recipe please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Dog Brewing

Reaction score
Ok as some of you may know that have read my last couple post that I am gearing up for my AG. We here is the recipe I was thinking about. It is just something I made up. It's all German ingredients I had the hop pellets so figured why not go all German and get German grain, but really dont ask me why, just because. Plus I have a couple questions.

Ok here goes: (all ingredients from Northern Brewer catalog)

Grain total 11 lbs.
Durst Pilsen 1.6L= 8 lbs.
Durst Vienna 3.8L= 1 lbs.
Weyermann Carafoam 1.8L = 1 lbs.
Weyermann Carahell 11L = 1 lbs.

Hop Total 3oz.
Spalt 1 oz. @ 60 minutes boil
Spalt .5 oz. @ 40 minute boil
Spalt .5 oz. @ 20 minute boil
Hallertauer .5 oz @ Flame out
Maybe .5 oz Hallertauer dry hopped
The Bitternes calculater of of racker put me at about 33 BU

Yeast is either going to be Cream Ale Blend or East Coast Ale.
What do you think?

Then here is my question. If I want a 5 to 5.5 gallon batch should I assume that I will lose approximately 2 gallons to boil? So should my preboil volume be 7 to 7.5 gallons?
I dont have a program so what are the theoretical yields for these grains I've chosen? I'm hoping for atleast a 75% efficiency but I don't know so I want to make sure I have the right amounts of grains.

All your feedback and suggestions is greatly appreciated.

BMW-LBD

evaporation rate is more like 1.25 gallons/hour for me, but depends on your setup. i wouldn't expect you to lose a full 2 gallons with an hour boil.

recipe looks good. i used the cream ale blend for my cream ale and it came out fantastic. nice and crisp...i would highly recommend it and i think it would go well with your ingredients.

Like DB said two gallons seems like a lot lose. His rate of 1.25 is more realistic although everybody's brewery is different. As far as the recipe goes it looks a little heavy handed in the crystal IMO. I would cut the CaraFoam back to 1/2 lb and lose all of the CaraHell. Take that 1 1/2 lbs and add it to the base malts. :mug:

The recipe you have listed is very close to a Maibock I brewed almost two weeks ago. What are you looking to get out of your beer?

b33rm3 said:
The recipe you have listed is very close to a Maibock I brewed almost two weeks ago. What are you looking to get out of your beer?

Im just looking to make beer!:D so I just came up with a recipe didn't look at anything just did it. Don't really have a whole loe of expectation just something nice and crisp and a good drink.

BigEd thanks for the suggestion can you tell me why though? I am like I said just running with something. can you explain what cutting it from the crystal and adding to the base would do for me? Just trying to gather info and knowledge so pour it on me.

Thanks guys keep it coming if you have any more suggestions

BMW-LBD

Back