Check me out....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostDakota

Reaction score
.....I'm kick ass!

I think.

I have been making extract/steep beers for the last couple of months. I have been happy all of them. But something's missing. I need the thrill of creating something of my own. I have tried a few from this site. BM's Aberdeen and McTarnamins BB Holiday, (both as good ad advertised, but McT's was just to sweet for my taste, and I really made the Ab. Session ale for my friends.) So I have decided to whet my palete, as the fella says, with one of my own. If you guys could look this over for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

FIRST TR-IPA

8# Ex. Pale LME
1# Crystal 40L
.5# Cara-Pils
1# Honey
1oz Amarillo (60 mins)
.5oz Simcoe (30mins)
.5oz Amarillo (dry hop)
.5oz Simcoe (dry hop)
Nottingham Dry

I have this in my cart at Austin Homebrew Supply and I'm just waiting on your approval. I just downloaded the free trial of BeerSmith and everything looks like it fits the style of an American IPA. Thanks in advance guys and Yooper And any other ladies on here that happen to stumble across this thread.

What's your boil size? Assuming its 2.5-3.0 gallons, your IBUs are no where near an IPA. The OG is on the low side as well. I'd lose the Honey too...

hey emma. i like the amirillo simco combo but for 5 gallons i would definetly go as high as 3 oz on the 60 minute addition and 2 oz on the 30 minute addition. try from there and see how it tastes in the bottle. it's going to be a lite ipa by my standards but i'm definetly a hop head who's bruned out taste buds on pliney and the like.

nottingham will just about ferment water - might dry it out a bit but that should be ok it's a great yeast. i would hydrate the yeast for around 15 minutes in room temp water before pitchin in your wort at 75°. then shake the hell outta the carboy to areate it

i say go for it and see what happens. might not be a standard hop heavy ipa but if you like hops amarillo and simcoe will definetly be a place to start and your recipe will be a place to deviate from.

good luck with that and please do report back on it

btw - good on you i wish more women would get involved in brewing as it was traditionally women in ancient history who kept all us men buzzed

brewhead said:
hey emma. i like the amirillo simco combo but for 5 gallons i would definetly go as high as 3 oz on the 60 minute addition and 2 oz on the 30 minute addition. try from there and see how it tastes in the bottle. it's going to be a lite ipa by my standards but i'm definetly a hop head who's bruned out taste buds on pliney and the like.

nottingham will just about ferment water - might dry it out a bit but that should be ok.

i say go for it and see what happens. might not be a standard hop heavy ipa but if you like hops amarillo and simcoe will definetly be a place to start and your recipe will be a place to deviate from.

good luck with that and please do report back on it

btw - good on you i wish more women would get involved in brewing as it was traditionally women in ancient history who kept all us men buzzed

Are you druck? The OP'er is a dude...dude

i wouldn't have guessed with these remarks:

And any other ladies on here that happen to stumble across this thread.

or

Emma New Brew Co

i don't know any dudes named emma but after looking at their profile - oops sorry my bad.

brewhead said:
i wouldn't have guessed with these remarks:

or

i don't know any dudes named emma

First remark follows him shouting out Yooper (female) and the brewery name is probably his daughter :mug:

ok well yooper is a dialect to my knowledge - at any rate i hop he/she makes good beer

I plugged this one into BeerSmith (assuming a 5 gallon batch), and here are the results:

OG: 1.073
SRM: 8.2
IBUs: 43.5

Color and gravity are just right, and the Crystal will be a nice touch, but bitterness is a little low. Also, why add honey? It's just going to ferment out, and the hops will overpower any residual flavor. Use another pound of LME instead.

Switch the bittering hops (60 minute addition) to 1 oz of Simcoe. Add .5 oz each of Amarillo and Simcoe at 10 minutes. Add 1 oz each of Amarillo and Simcoe at flameout. Dry hop with 1 oz each of the same. IBUs will be ~55, and hop flavor/aroma will be greatly increased over your original recipe.

Yuri_Rage said:
I plugged this one into BeerSmith (assuming a 5 gallon batch), and here are the results:

OG: 1.073
SRM: 8.2
IBUs: 43.5

Color and gravity are just right, and the Crystal will be a nice touch, but bitterness is a little low. Also, why add honey? It's just going to ferment out, and the hops will overpower any residual flavor. Use another pound of LME instead.

Switch the bittering hops (60 minute addition) to 1 oz of Simcoe. Add .5 oz each of Amarillo and Simcoe at 10 minutes. Add 1 oz each of Amarillo and Simcoe at flameout. Dry hop with 1 oz each of the same. IBUs will be ~55, and hop flavor/aroma will be greatly increased over your original recipe.

I use Beersmith too and the OG is < 1.060 on mine. Do you have the Type still set to All-Grain? If so, you gotta change it to Extract and you'll see the OG is too low. He won't be getting as much fermentables from the Crystal malts via steeping. The All-Grain setting assumes you'll mash them...

Soulive said:
I use Beersmith too and the OG is < 1.060 on mine. Do you have the Type still set to All-Grain? If so, you gotta change it to Extract and you'll see the OG is too low. He won't be getting as much fermentables from the Crystal malts via steeping. The All-Grain setting assumes you'll mash them...
I did screw that up, but it only changed the OG by a couple of points. I still have it at 1.068, which is well inside the acceptable range for style (so is 1.060, BTW). Did you add the honey?

Yuri_Rage said:
I did screw that up, but it only changed the OG by a couple of points. I still have it at 1.068, which is well inside the acceptable range for style (so is 1.060, BTW). Did you add the honey?

I don't have the recipe open anymore but I know I wasn't showing 1.068. Must've been some other setting that was off. Who knows :confused:

Thanks guys.

To answer a few questions...
1. Yes to Soulive, I am a dude and nice on the daughter assumption. She's 8 month old, hence the
Specializing in infantile home brewed beers.

2. I bought a big ass bottle of honey for making mead, but as I looked at it in my brewery, (read pantry) I realise I have never had a mead, (my first batch of JOAM is still going strong and not yet clear.) so I don't know if I will even like the stuff. I just figured what the fik.

3. I can do full boils on my stove. So, I believe I get pretty decent hop utilization.

I think I will go with Yuri on the hop schedule. BTW, I watched the whole series of your vids today. Nice work. Your voice kinda sounds like Randall from Clerks. Not meant to offend just thought that was amusing.

I would post my Beersmith recipe but I'm on the trial and it wont let me.

Thanks guys again. And if anyone else has anymore input, I would be glad to hear it.

-Drew

You can post your recipe by copying and pasting, right? If you're doil full boils, you'll be good in the IBU category. I think the honey may dry it out too much...or it could end up balancing out the unfermentables nicely. So many variables...

QBrew is showing OG @ 1.065, and IBU 37, just below the style range.

Frankly, I don't think that's too bad an idea. The way the recipe is written, you're looking for a lot of hops flavor and aroma, not necessarily a mouth-puckering bitterness. You've written the recipe the way I like my hops-bombs - lots of taste and smell, but not so bitter it feels like the enamel on my teeth is dissolving. [*]

If anything, I'd save for other brews the high-alpha hops you're using for dry-hopping. In the first place, you stretch your hops supply by using high-alpha varieties for their intended purpose: bittering. In the second, the high-alpha varieties aren't, IMO, suitable for dry-hopping, successful examples to the contrary. I prefer a hops variety with more refined flavor and aroma for dry-hopping, as I consider the high-alpha varieties to be harsh and coarse. Keeping with the American theme, you could substitute classic and flavorful American hops like Willamette or Mt Hood for dry-hopping.

Cheers,

Bob

[*] Can someone explain this peculiar "hop the crap out of it then hop it some more" phenomenon to me? Is it to do with perceived manliness or something? I can't stomach the stuff after a couple of sips of Imperial IPA - Dogfish 120 Minute IPA is well-regarded - and I can only drink one or two glasses of beers like Victory HopDevil before my taste and aroma receptors are pummeled into submission. And I like to drink beer too much to only have one before my senses shut down. What's the story? Why are these things so popular? Mods, feel free to split the thread.

brewhead said:
ok well yooper is a dialect to my knowledge - at any rate i hop he/she makes good beer

I believe that I make decent beer.

Anyway I like the recipe. As everyone else said, simcoe and amarillo together are a great combination. I agree with Yuri's advice on the hopping, and I'm glad you think it's a good idea. I think that hops schedule gives you some more complexity to balance out the crystal and the mouthfeel you'll get from the carapils.

I do like simcoe and amarillo for dry hopping- they give a great flavor. In fact, take a look at my DFH recipe- I dry hop with those.

I think it looks good! Good luck with this one!

Back