Check EVERYTHING for CO2 leaks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBasile

Reaction score
After having two CO2 tanks mysteriously go empty over the course of months, I finally sprayed everything down with Star San. Previously, I had checked all of the connections for leaks. However, this time I found the leak in the form of a microscopic hole in the middle of one of the manifold t-fittings. I can't see the hole with my eyes, but it slowly bubbles up when doused with Star San. So remember, kids, always check EVERYTHING for leaks.

That is a pain in the butt, hopefully you found it

Mine was one of the beer lines was 3/16 and tap fitting was 1/4 and it didn't seal properly

And one keg had bad poppet spring

Took 3 bottles but I got it

If possible, you can dunk the assemblies in a bucket of water to see if any CO2 bubbles up. Can't be done all the time, but you can take a gas-side QD and dunk it in a bucket of water (or Star-San) to check the connection. You can dunk a gas manifold as well after it's connected. A bit of a pain but it's cheap insurance.

If possible, you can dunk the assemblies in a bucket of water[...] A bit of a pain but it's cheap insurance.

Seriously true, that. This assembly had four different types of leaks. If I had skipped the immersion testing they would have a royal pita to find...

leak_testing_sm.jpg

Cheers!

Every time I’ve lost a tank, it has been due to a bad seal around a keg lid. I burst them all now with 30 psi to make sure I have a good seal. Glad you figured your problem out. It’s maddening when you leak $ into the air!

Also apply a thin layer of Vaseline to the lid gasket will help seal better and give the gasket longer life

Back