Cheapest solid recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TastyAdventure

Reaction score
What's a cheap but solid recipe you have? Or just suggestions you have towards developing one? Is it cheaper to do Grain or Extract? Hops are a non issue for me, I have too many leftovers... Harvesting yeast and building up a starter is nearly free yeast! What else you got?
Wh

What's a cheap but solid recipe you have? Or just suggestions you have towards developing one? Is it cheaper to do Grain or Extract? Hops are a non issue for me, I have too many leftovers... Harvesting yeast and building up a starter is nearly free yeast! What else you got?
Wh

Grain is much cheaper than extract. Here's a recipe that cost me a grand total of $16 for 10 gallons.

The rice was Uncle Ben's from the dollar store. The corn was grits I had left over. The yeast was reused WLP001.

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
6 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) German
2 lbs Rice, parboiled
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine
1 lbs Corn
2.00 oz Tettnang [3.75 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 13.8 IBUs
1.35 oz Tettnang [3.75 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 11 4.6 IBUs

Group buys help. Lighter gravity and lower hopped beers help. You said hops aren't an issue, but if you have to buy, buy in bulk or semi-bulk (farmhouse), and pick up some high-alpha bittering hops to save the rest for flavor and aroma.

Try Dry Stout, Mild, blonde ale, Saison, etc.

Grain is much cheaper than extract. Here's a recipe that cost me a grand total of $16 for 10 gallons.

The rice was Uncle Ben's from the dollar store. The corn was grits I had left over. The yeast was reused WLP001.

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
6 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) German
2 lbs Rice, parboiled
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine
1 lbs Corn
2.00 oz Tettnang [3.75 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 13.8 IBUs
1.35 oz Tettnang [3.75 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 11 4.6 IBUs
something for the BMC crowd?

i keep talking about this same beer but it fits here too.

english bitter.

8.5# maris otter or UK base malt.
0.5# Crystal 40

1oz fuggles at 60
1oz fuggles at 20

reused wlp007 slurry.

$21

My 1.040 house wit recipe is really cheap. Half pale malt, half white wheat, and around 20 IBUs with just a 60 minute charge. Mash at 155 or so.

You could also change up the yeast any which way, add flavor hops, fruit, spices, etc. and still keep it pretty cheap.

Thanks for the tips guys. Looks like I need to move on from partial to All grain. Also, are there adjusts cheaper than malted barley that help increase OG and/or body?

Thanks for the tips guys. Looks like I need to move on from partial to All grain. Also, are there adjusts cheaper than malted barley that help increase OG and/or body?

sugar, rice and corn will increase OG but lighten the body. crystal malt increases OG and also gives body.

How about making some invert syrups from raw demerara sugar, should increase OG and give some flavors depending on how long you cook it for. Since its from sugar should be fairly cheap.

Back