Cheapest place to get keg socket set

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosquitocontrol

Reaction score
What's the best/cheapest place to get a 3-piece socket set for ball lock kegs. Out of my 4-keg pack from kegconnection they gave me all three types!

I have 7 kegs- many of them are different! Some are 7/8", some are 11/16", one seems to be 3/4", some are 12 point star, etc. I had to buy them individually, since my deep socket set only went up to 11/16". I got them at an auto parts store, by dragging in the empty kegs in question and not leaving until I had what I needed.

One guy told me he got all of the ones he needed (including the star) at Sears.

I've heard some people say they just get the dual head wrench from sears, but I just bought a few deep sockets at lowes. I used a big crescent wrench to get them off the first time, took them into lowes and got what i needed.

All my kegs are one of two sizes, 11/16 or 7/8. I picked up the respective 12 point deep sockets. Some of my gas liquid connectors are the 12 point star looking deals and the other are 6 point.

Start with this or the non-offset one, and if you have some other oddball connector, you can buy that as a single wrench.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00943365000P?keyword=11/16+7/8+wrench

I keep two separate wrenches in my keg toolbox, but that is only because I did not find this first.

You may also want to get a wrench to take the regulator assembly off of the CO2 bottle to refill. I use a small monkey wrench.

Okay I picked up that wrench from sears and it fits all the posts. But how am I supposed to get these damn things off? They must have used those drills they put tires on with for them. Out of 12 posts I've gotten 5 off, 2 are too close to the lid lip for my wrench to fit, 1 is nearly stripped and the rest are just stuck! Been straddling them and putting my whole weight in and no luck. I just want them off so i can clean them and fill them with beer! Doubt there are any special tricks?

Okay I picked up that wrench from sears and it fits all the posts. But how am I supposed to get these damn things off? They must have used those drills they put tires on with for them. Out of 12 posts I've gotten 5 off, 2 are too close to the lid lip for my wrench to fit, 1 is nearly stripped and the rest are just stuck! Been straddling them and putting my whole weight in and no luck. I just want them off so i can clean them and fill them with beer! Doubt there are any special tricks?

I had a couple like that once. Had to use a blow torch to heat up the posts and they came off, figured it was dried up pepsi from years ago that made some sort of sugary super glue. It obviously destroyed the o-rings, but it needed to be done. Just hope that it doesn't have a plastic dip tube if you go this route.

Out of the 50 or so kegs I've gotten (with syrup in them) I've only had one that required extra work to remove (Had to buy a socket and use a cheater bar). All the rest of them I just sit on the keg, hold the wrench on with one hand and smack with the other. If that doesn't work you can use a rubber mallet to smack the wrench.

Edit: this is always after a day of soaking in hot oxyclean.

Out of the 50 or so kegs I've gotten (with syrup in them) I've only had one that required extra work to remove (Had to buy a socket and use a cheater bar). All the rest of them I just sit on the keg, hold the wrench on with one hand and smack with the other. If that doesn't work you can use a rubber mallet to smack the wrench.

That is what I wound up doing this weekend... I did not figure out the sitting part until I smashed a finger though :(

Had to return the doubled edge-ratchet and go back to sears to get deep sockets for each of the sizes. Several of my kegs didn't have enough clearance for the ratchet. The sit-n-smack trick worked. I only have one stubborn post left and I have no idea how I'm going to get it off. Anyone want to try themselves for $30 with pickup in NOVA? Has B-grade from Kegconnection with new O-rings :)

Had to return the doubled edge-ratchet and go back to sears to get deep sockets for each of the sizes. Several of my kegs didn't have enough clearance for the ratchet. The sit-n-smack trick worked. I only have one stubborn post left and I have no idea how I'm going to get it off. Anyone want to try themselves for $30 with pickup in NOVA? Has B-grade from Kegconnection with new O-rings :)

Sweet :)

You could try to heat up the post with a blowtorch to make it expand, you'll ruin the two Orings and a poppit though. How about a buddy holding/sitting on the keg and the wrench with a big ole cheater bar on it? Or rachet strap the keg to the house/truck whatever and then put the cheater bar on the ratchet and crank on it.

Back