Cheapest place to buy yeast? Shipping is killer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
My LHBS doesn't have WLP 940.
Morebeer and Adventures in homebrew want $11 shipping for a pack of yeast which is enough to make me buy Nothing from them again. That's not even including an ice pack.

Where is everyone buying there yeast that shipping doesn't kill you?

I'm stocked up on everything I need so I don't want to rack up the order to qualify for free shipping

Its not like I live on the moon My Zip is 11738

I always buy my yeast at the LHBS but if you don't want to pay shipping you could always grab $52 of extra stuff at MoreBeer

If you can’t get it local, might have to suck it up, but then harvest it when you’re done fermenting and you won’t have to pay for shipping again on that strain.

Crazy that shipping doubles a $6 order. Feeling like Im only getting half the yeast I'm paying for.Looks like I don't have a choice

As someone else mentioned, if your LHBS is already carrying White Labs product, couldn't you just ask them to order the yeast you want when they place their next order?

Try dry yeast, cheaper to buy and ship, since it can be sent in an envelope

Nearly every strain can be harvested from bottles of beer. Buy beer, get free yeast, make starters, Harvest fresh yeast from starters.

Edit to add: admittedly, acquiring lager strains using this method could prove challenging.

There are many strains of dry yeast, I’m sure someone has a similar strain

Was mainly answering the question on ways of cutting shipping cost

There are many strains of dry yeast, I’m sure someone has a similar strain

Was mainly answering the question on ways of cutting shipping cost

Actually, if you look at the yeast equivalency charts, you'll not find anything similar.

WL940 is one of my favorite yeasts. I wish there were a backup for it.

Buy something else from them that you will need soon. Will make the shipping cheaper. I suspect 4 vials would probably have the same price. Toss in a few dry yeasts too (they will keep forever in the fridge).

Tx brewing.com has flat rate shipping of 7.95, and since it’s cold the ice packs will help keep yeast cold

Also, did you look at Mangrove Jack dry yeast?

Everyone charges about the same for yeast and shipping.

Plan ahead! I usually keep a couple extra of my standards around. Since I make starters the viability isn’t an issue.

I am doing my personal research on yeast in our place I found a yeast thats really very effective but m not sure what that yeast is

Farmhouse is usually pretty cheap shipping. Not sure about selection but think they have white labs. East coast.

I ordered Yeast yesterday and was quoted $11 for shipping as well. I ended up deciding to order four different packs and the shipping was $20 for 4. It was stuff I can't get locally.

I often ask my LHBS to order stuff for me and then plan ahead.

The post office has $6 if it fits it ships. Not sure how there coming up with $11. I'll see what my LHBS can order or load up on some other yeast and grain for free shipping I guess

No sub for wlp 940

Many places make their money on shipping. They might offer some discounts on the products, but offset with the shipping. Just cost of doing business. As long as the shipping isn’t too out of whack, I’ll order.

The post office has $6 if it fits it ships. Not sure how there coming up with $11. I'll see what my LHBS can order or load up on some other yeast and grain for free shipping I guess

No sub for wlp 940

A lot of shops don't offer USPS as a shipping option.

Back