Cheap way to crush grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgburdman9

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been contemplating buying a 50 lb bag of 2 row recently. I do not own a mill yet and this would be another big purchase for me. What are the cheapest effective ways of crushing grain? I really did not want to throw in another $100-150 if possible. Thanks for the help.

I have been contemplating buying a 50 lb bag of 2 row recently. I do not own a mill yet and this would be another big purchase for me. What are the cheapest effective ways of crushing grain? I really did not want to throw in another $100-150 if possible. Thanks for the help.

Rolling pin - cheap, but labor intensive
hand-crank mills
mills that attach to electric drills (assuming you already have the drill)

Rolling pins are wildly inaccurate. Is there a LHBS around that would let you mill for a small fee when you go in to get the specialty malts you will need anyway?

+1 on a corona mill for a cheap way to start. I picked up one from grizzly.com for under 30 bucks and I have made some great beer with it.
At some point I may step up to a maltmill, but for now it works great.

You'll definitely want a mill if you're going to be an all-grain brewer. It only took me two batches of LHBS crush, one 65% efficiency, the other 85% to know I need to control my own crush.

That being said, I think everyone one who has purchased a Barley Crusher loves it, including me.

That being said, I think everyone one who has purchased a Barley Crusher loves it, including me.

Thats a bit hyperbolic. There are plenty of threads on here about issues with the barley crusher. Its a nice mill, but it has its issues, just like all the other ones.

If you buy the grain from the LHBS, they'll often let you mill it there for free if you ask them, as long as they are not busy at the time.

Thats a bit hyperbolic. There are plenty of threads on here about issues with the barley crusher. Its a nice mill, but it has its issues, just like all the other ones.

Um, yeah, but I was just posting my experiences with it. I've never had a problem with it, nor does anyone else I know who has it. I've also happened to see "motorized" pop up with Barley Crusher issues which the manufacturer strictly does not recommend.

Um, yeah, but I was just posting my experiences with it. I've never had a problem with it, nor does anyone else I know who has it. I've also happened to see "motorized" pop up with Barley Crusher issues which the manufacturer strictly does not recommend.

Thats fine. It doesn't jibe with this statement, which is demonstratably false:

I think everyone one who has purchased a Barley Crusher loves it, including me.

Thats what I had a problem with.

cheapest way for me is to just use the mill at the LHBS. If I'm giving them some business while I'm there they don't mind.

+1 on the barley crusher. I just bought mine and so far have put only 16 lbs of malt through it. But, I like it. It did a decent job. I missed my OG target on my beer, but I was making a huge beer and I'm not that experienced yet, so I can't blame the mill. I think the barley crusher is the best bang-for-the-buck for a true roller mill.

Back