Cheap thermometer that I like.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
I found a cheap thermomter that was digital, had a remote wired tHermostat. My only complaint is a slow one second refresh rate. But it seemed to handle staying in a boiling starter for 15 minutes without dying. Better than other remotes I've broken. It also showed the right temp when the water/starter started boiling. And FYI, I am not affiliate with this company, just bought my ro water setup from them. They are named: air water ice.

08350ed2.jpg

83cbdcf4.jpg

The specs look good on that one and the price is certainly very reasonable. I particularly like the push button calibration feature. I might just have to order one and give it a try. I have a good one, but could always use a backup for it and would fill the bill perfectly. I would probably order several more if it proves to be accurate and reliable.

I use a digital non-contact laser thermometer. I'm not sure how entirely accurate it is because it usually reads 180 when the wort starts to boil, but nothing needs to be sanitized!

The laser thermometer is probably right. The surface of the wort starting to boil may well be 180. The boil is coming from the bottom where it is hotter That is the problem with the laser type - it only measures the surface temperature.

The laser thermometer is probably right. The surface of the wort starting to boil may well be 180. The boil is coming from the bottom where it is hotter That is the problem with the laser type - it only measures the surface temperature.

Exactly, you're probably right. I've also thought it might just be getting a reading of the steam. On another note I shot this laser thermometer up into my attic the other day when it was 100 outside... 160 in the attic!

Sorry, my unit does not have "push buttons" that I have found. it still works great, but I'm wondering if it really is calibrate'able.... And IR thermometers will not give accurate reading on liquids... it will only give surface temp which is different than submersed...

Back