Cheap single tier brew stand idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Setesh

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am building an EHERMS system, and with all of the money I've been pouring into that (You're welcome Bobby and Kal ;)) I wanted to make a brew stand for cheap. I was using folding tables and my turkey fryer before, but that just wasn't going to cut it for an EHERMS. One day as I was taking out some trash at the office I noticed the stack of pallets behind the building and it struck me...."I can make a stand out of those!" After checking with the powers that be I found that the pallets were trash and they would love for me to haul them off. It took some work to break them down, but I ended up with some pretty good oak and pine 2x4s and planks. I wanted to be able to store my keggles underneath when not in use so I used them as a gauge for measurements for each 'compartment'. Then I cut everything to length, pre-drilled pilot holes and whipped it together. Entire project took me about 6 hours. I have spaces in the slats on top because all of my keggles will be bottom drain.

The good lumber and partial assembly
Good Wood from Pallets.jpg

Bottom frame assembled
Bottom Frame.jpg

Finished stand
Finished Stand.jpg

Kegs on top
Kegs on top_Rotated.jpg

Kegs stored
Packed Away.jpg

Yes, I know my garage is a pit :D

The total project cost me $6.37 for the screws to put it together. Of course I am not counting the drills, miter saw, bits, etc. I already had all the tools I needed. I would have ended up with a prettier and less splinter prone stand had I made a trip to Lowes and picked up new wood but it would also have been more expensive. Anyway, I thought it might help someone looking for a cheap way to make a stand.

Tools used
Pry bar and baby sledge to tear down the pallets
Miter saw - any saw would do, could even use a hand saw
Drill for driving screws and drilling holes - cordless preferred
Tape measure
Pencil to mark cuts
Hammer and chisel (I was a bit stingy with the bottom compartments and needed to take about 1/2" out of the inside of the two outer compartment supports to let the kegs slide in.
Drill bits

Harbir Freight regularly puts their casters on sale. I just picked up a set to finish my welding cart (so I can dial in my skills and make sone brew stands).

Harbir Freight regularly puts their casters on sale. I just picked up a set to finish my welding cart (so I can dial in my skills and make sone brew stands).

Good tip! Looks like these are on sale now, call their load rating 75 instead of 125 to be conservative and they should still suffice.

Latest posts

Back