Cheap or Alternative Ferment Buckets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LloydRenee

Reaction score
I have a hard time spending $20 on a bucket when the same style of buckets at Home Depot or Lowes only cost $3.00. Yes I would use those except they seem a bit to short to me. What are some alternative ferment buckets? Eventually I will move into carbouys and stuff lik ethat but for now I trying to keep it simple and cheap. I can find some on-line for $8 to $10 but once you tag on shipping and what not we are right back up to $20 plus again. Anyone have an alternative that works? Can you use painters buckets from HD or Lowes? Is the air space in there not enough? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I don't think the HD or Lowes buckets are "food grade". You could try finding some business that has a water cooler and use the jug part that holds the water. Should be just like a better bottle.

Those "Home Depot" buckets are NOT made for food. Look at the bottom of the bucket for the number and compare on this site: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/plastics.html

You also want the 6.5 gal bucket so you can put 5 to 5.5 gal of wort in it and still have a reasonable amount of space for the Krausen.

Hope this helps

I kind of figured that was going to be the case with the HD and Lowes buckets. Its kind of why I didnt buy them to begin with. I may have to just stop being a cheap bastard and spring for the $20 lol. You cant blame a guy fro trying to get more beer for his buck...

Not sure where you're finding $20 buckets. That is awfully steep.
You can ferment in pretty much anything that is food grade. Its usually the colorant they add that would make it non-food grade. Make sure its the right kind of plastic. Just need to make sure its large enough for the batch size plus extra headspace for fermentation.

Go to your local bakery or grocery store bakery and ask for an icing bucket. When I lived in San Diego Vons had them and would give them away. If I remember right they were 5 gallon buckets.

The local Jason's Deli will often deliver lunches in a green bucket that originally had dill pickles in them. My company throws them out when I don't snag them. It is very easy to clean them out, and they are 6 gallons. All I have to buy is the lid.

Those "Home Depot" buckets are NOT made for food. Look at the bottom of the bucket for the number and compare on this site: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/plastics.html

You also want the 6.5 gal bucket so you can put 5 to 5.5 gal of wort in it and still have a reasonable amount of space for the Krausen.

Hope this helps

The HD bucket thing has been discussed at length and frequently. They are made from HDPE, same as the buckets sold at your LHBS. The HD buckets aren't labeled as food grade, but that doesn't mean they AREN'T food grade. It just means HD didn't want to pay to have them tested, cause, well, why would they?

You can do your own search for more info, but plenty of people use them.

My last brew was in a HD bucket for 3 weeks. It tastes great and I am not dead. If you are worried about it then don't do it but yeah it worked for me.

+1 on asking at the bakeries in your area. They often have 6 or 6.5 gal buckets and usually give them away. I wouldn't use a pickle bucket though, there's no way to remove the odor and I don't care for pickle flavored beer myself.

+1 on asking at the bakeries in your area. They often have 6 or 6.5 gal buckets and usually give them away. I wouldn't use a pickle bucket though, there's no way to remove the odor and I don't care for pickle flavored beer myself.

I have already used one several times, and it was quick and easy to get it clean.

I have a pickle bottling bucket. I don't notice any lingering smells and subsequent effect on my product but the beer doesn't stay there long anyway.

I have a pickle bottling bucket. I don't notice any lingering smells and subsequent effect on my product but the beer doesn't stay there long anyway.

That's my experience. I washed it with warm soapy water, and rinsed it with Star San. Done.

Some people will put their beer in anything to save a buck... Just buy the $20 bucket. It's a one time expense for a lifelong hobby. :)

I have used 5 gallon white buckets from Walmart's paint department with zero problems. These are food grade plastic buckets and cost around $4 including the lid but you have to buy a grommet for about 50 cents from local hardware store. The cost is the plus side but the "downside" to some is that these buckets hold a maximum of 5.25 gallons of volume and thus cannot do a true 5 gallon batch. Thus, iIeither brew a 4 gallon version of the recipe or an 8 gallon version if I want to try different yeast or keg half and bottle the other half.

I got 3- 6.5 gal white HDPE buckets with lids from a guy on EBay for $30 shipped. He had 100's of em. Same $20 buckets LHBS sells.

The only bad thing about the orange Home Depot buckets is:

1: Can't do a 5.5 gallon batch, as previously mentioned

2: You've got to keep track of which bucket is for beer, which one you had antifreeze in, which one you used to clean out the turtle tank, and which one you crapped in on the side of I-75 after a greasy lunch at a truck stop, etc.

Fletch78 said:
The only bad thing about the orange Home Depot buckets is:

1: Can't do a 5.5 gallon batch, as previously mentioned

2: You've got to keep track of which bucket is for beer, which one you had antifreeze in, which one you used to clean out the turtle tank, and which one you crapped in on the side of I-75 after a greasy lunch at a truck stop, etc.

If anything I would want less than 5 gallon because I am the only one drinking at my house. Number 2 maybe the one with the airlock on it is the beer? Just maybe?

If anything I would want less than 5 gallon because I am the only one drinking at my house. Number 2 maybe the one with the airlock on it is the beer? Just maybe?

You'll want that full 5 gallons when made that perfect pale ale. If you are going to go with the cheap white bucket from HD/Lowes, go with 2 and split the batch.

broadbill said:
You'll want that full 5 gallons when made that perfect pale ale. If you are going to go with the cheap white bucket from HD/Lowes, go with 2 and split the batch.

I do do 5 gals in those buckets and I don't believe in perfection I believe in variety. Really considering going 2.5/3 gallon batches to have more brew days or I may find some folks to give sixers to. That said I would like to get bigger fermenters. My main fermenter is glass. The bucket comes out when I have more than one bubbling.

I do do 5 gals in those buckets and I don't believe in perfection I believe in variety. Really considering going 2.5/3 gallon batches to have more brew days or I may find some folks to give sixers to. That said I would like to get bigger fermenters. My main fermenter is glass. The bucket comes out when I have more than one bubbling.

Whatever works for you. I think for most people the most difficult part of brewing if finding the time to do it. That is why most people go with 5 gallons at a minimum and sometimes shoot for 10 gallons. As far as time goes it takes about the same amount of time to brew 3 gallons as it does 5 gallons as it does 10 gallons. So as far as suggestions go, keep in mind that the majority of us have no experience brewing at the smaller scale you are planning to.

broadbill said:
Whatever works for you. I think for most people the most difficult part of brewing if finding the time to do it. That is why most people go with 5 gallons at a minimum and sometimes shoot for 10 gallons. As far as time goes it takes about the same amount of time to brew 3 gallons as it does 5 gallons as it does 10 gallons. So as far as suggestions go, keep in mind that the majority of us have no experience brewing at the smaller scale you are planning to.

Yeah thats why I think I am going to stick with 5 gal until I have more experience. I am going to have to have a little party here soon and kill off a case or two.

Ask you LHBS what they do with their LME barrels when they are empty. The 15 gallon barrels are great for fermenting in and a lot of people have gotten them for free from a LHBS or other source that does not want to recycle them.

Hope this helps

The markings on my ale pail are identical (#2 HDPE) to the ones on the homer buckets. And the Ale pail does not say anything about being food grade. Many people on this board have used them with no issues. I don't use them to ferment, but wouldn't have a problem with them based on the reports of others on this forum.

To the OP, if you have corny kegs you can use them. I have extra's laying around and so I have been using them, easy to clean and simple to store.

The markings on my ale pail are identical (#2 HDPE) to the ones on the homer buckets. And the Ale pail does not say anything about being food grade. Many people on this board have used them with no issues. I don't use them to ferment, but wouldn't have a problem with them based on the reports of others on this forum.

To the OP, if you have corny kegs you can use them. I have extra's laying around and so I have been using them, easy to clean and simple to store.

+1

The HDPE marking indicates that the HD buckets are food grade. I use them all the time for utility buckets with beer and wine making, occasionally fermenting if I use whole fruit (I have all glass fermenters for all my other fermenting).

i.e. in a pinch HD buckets are great until you splurge on fancy gear.

The only case where HDPE 2 should be disregarded is with black HDPE 2 buckets. I have read multiple places that the black buckets are specifically called out as "never" food grade.

I've read in a few threads on here that someone actually contacted the manufacturer of the HD buckets and they are food grade and perfectly safe. Could be totally off here but with complaining about the dye used: aren't the white buckets dyed? Otherwise they would most likely be opaque. Granted different ingredients for different dyes. Just saying.

These last two posts are contradictory to what I've found. The label of #2 means it's HDPE but not necessarily food grade. When you say "used them with no problems" that doesn't make sense to me as the problems wouldn't be something so readily apparent? The acidity and alcohol would leach stuff into what you drink . . and you wouldn't know what effects that would have for who knows when.

I'm not trying start arguments or be a PITA, just saying it's not consistent with what I've seen. Here's a good one:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/plastics.html

These last two posts are contradictory to what I've found. The label of #2 means it's HDPE but not necessarily food grade. When you say "used them with no problems" that doesn't make sense to me as the problems wouldn't be something so readily apparent? The acidity and alcohol would leach stuff into what you drink . . and you wouldn't know what effects that would have for who knows when.

I'm not trying start arguments or be a PITA, just saying it's not consistent with what I've seen. Here's a good one:

This site doesn't list facts about HD buckets or similar. It is composed of a broad series of generalizations that are safe, legally to post. How could they recc you use a random bucket from a random store without getting themselves in trouble? Of course they are going to say "avoid all buckets that don't list themselves as food grade."

We aren't putting "brine" into buckets either. Which is what the usage is geared towards on that site.

I wouldn't be worried about using HD buckets. The beer you are making in the buckets causes far more health risks than the plastics ever will.

keep searching the countless threads on this topic on HBT - draw your own conclusions from them.

I think I've read that part of the "food grade" designation is related to the release chemicals used in the mold. If so, then the plastic designation could be the same even if one bucket were food grade and one were not.

From that site it states this:
"There is a common misconception that all containers made of white plastic or HDPE plastic bearing the symbol are food grade containers. This is not true. If you are considering the purchase of a container from some place other than a kitchen or restaurant supply store, and the container is not clearly labeled as "food safe" or being made of food grade plastic, then you should assume that it is not food grade and you should not brine in it"

Your/my Ale Pail does not say it is "Food Safe". So it violates what this site is saying, yet most of us have all used an ale pail to ferment at some point. It's no different than the #2 HDPE buckets from home depot. I agree with Cidahmaster, you are free to make your own choice. Maybe the effects are like you said, not readily apparent. But I have a hard time believing that homebrew equipment stores would sell something that is harmful to us.

This is a fun subject heheh. I have heard that the food grade tag just means the product is tested in a lab and so you are basically paying for all the labwork. Its not necessarily to say that ones that aren't tested aren't safe. Have also heard that food grade plastics have more to do with high temperature use. So mashing in a bucket would be more concerning than fermenting. Maybe I should research this myself. I am very curious if the ale pales are indeed food grade or not as that could through this debate into orbit.

I bought a 6 gallon bucket for $12 a few days ago. I love the idea of getting one from a restaurant, though.

I have used both Home Depot "homer" and Lowes grey buckets before, but I do have to admit that I am hesitant for the simple fact that the plastic is colored in some fashion, instead of being plain white. I would be more comfortable using the white pails that they sell in the paint section.

From that site it states this:
"There is a common misconception that all containers made of white plastic or HDPE plastic bearing the symbol are food grade containers. This is not true. If you are considering the purchase of a container from some place other than a kitchen or restaurant supply store, and the container is not clearly labeled as "food safe" or being made of food grade plastic, then you should assume that it is not food grade and you should not brine in it"

Your/my Ale Pail does not say it is "Food Safe". So it violates what this site is saying, yet most of us have all used an ale pail to ferment at some point. It's no different than the #2 HDPE buckets from home depot. I agree with Cidahmaster, you are free to make your own choice. Maybe the effects are like you said, not readily apparent. But I have a hard time believing that homebrew equipment stores would sell something that is harmful to us.

I actually agree with what you're saying. I posted that one link as an example of what I've found while I am searching for the same info you guys are. I'm pretty much undecided, and am going with the free buckets from the bakery route. Free + they came with food in them originally.

I bought one of these about a month ago. My second batch in it is bubbling away happily. It really is vacuum tight.

"The first ever screw top with built in turning handle for ease of opening and closing. The screw-top lid has an optional spout for easy pouring of your liquid or dry products. Life Latch® lid creates a vacuum-tight seal to protect your products. Pail and cover are prime virgin HDPE. White in color. Vacuum-tight, moisture-resistant seal. Tamper evident. UN Certified for Groups II and III. Width at widest point 13.35". Overall height with cover in place 16.75". Bottom outside diameter 10.51”. Inside diameter at top 12.03". Inside height 15.75". Minimum cover and pail wall thickness 0.090". Meets FDA standards."

I ordered mine with a spout. The blow off tube fits over the spout. The lock plug fits inside the spout. The top screws on and off very easily. The gasket is on the bucket so it is very easy to inspect and clean. Only problem for most would be the five gallon size. I brew 3 gal biab.

get a 7.5 gallon "Aqua-tainer" from the camping section at Walmart, made in Canada and BPA free - same material as an Ale Pail & they're only about $10 !

joeybeer said:
get a 7.5 gallon "Aqua-tainer" from the camping section at Walmart, made in Canada and BPA free - same material as an Ale Pail & they're only about $10 !

Hmmm interesting. I do need a bigger one. I wonder even because its square if it might fit better in my cooler than a round one.

Back in the day people used those collapsible water containers you find in the camping section of you local sporting goods store. They are cheap and take up little space when not in use. I have never used one, but have thought about it many times. Worked for guys back in the 70's.

I get lots of 3 gallon buckets from a local bakery for free. Just use two of them when making a 5 gallon batch and you are good to go. I drill out a hole in the lid to put the bung and airlock and have saved myself a few bucks.

Back