cheap non fridge multi lager fermenting set up !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickyssix

Reaction score
thumb1_20150919_103111-66127.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I just wanted to show those who might think they can't brew lager without a fridge and a thermostat- my lagering bin set up in my garage !
If you live in a cool to moderate climate then use the winter months to brew lagers like a man possessed -
It seems like water is the best insulation, these guys have not budged off 10c (50f) all winter. (yep, its winter here on this side of the world)

Once fermented and in secondry i have four old ice cream containers creating big blocks of ice that pull the temp down to 3-4c (35-40f) on rotation..2 blocks every 2 days. Easy.
I've brewed 13 lagers so far this winter with the 4 in the picture to add to the tally.
Pilsners, Viennas, Oktoberfests, trad. porters, some of the best brews ive ever done.
Don't be scared to brew lager !!

Last edited:

If there's a real cold snap (which we had 2 weeks of around 25f- freezing ) then i can use aquarium heaters. They heat the water slow and steady. But i didn't really need to.. the water in the bins takes a long time to change temp so it sunk to 6-7c and didnt seem to affect the ferment.
Obviously these are your ticket for the diacetyl rest, and if you want to brew an ale and you're not allowed to do it inside.
I know this is NOT a new phenomenon in the slightest but worth showing for those who think they havent got the means to lager.
I realised i could do this now i have 4 going at a time, using very little electricity.
I know, i have a problem. At least the first step is admitting it. :rockin:

Last edited:
looks delicious. if you had larger bins could you double them up? maybe get a kiddie pool and stick them all in together?

looks delicious. if you had larger bins could you double them up? maybe get a kiddie pool and stick them all in together?

A great idea - although the aquarium water heaters can be moved from bin to bin if a diacetyl rest is required and or the odd ale needs to brewed..

I plan to do something similar this winter; my garage ambient temperature ranges from 30F - 50 F during our cold months Oct. - March in Long Island, NY. I'm going to place my fermenters in broken refridgerators and use a paint can/ST-1000 system to keep the air in the fridge at 50 F.

By taping up and insulating the ducts from the freezer to the fridge box, the insulated box should retain the correct fermentation temperature for lagers.

Your system is more basic than mine but we both make lagers in the winter months as the air is colder.

If there's a real cold snap (which we had 2 weeks of around 25f- freezing ) then i can use aquarium heaters. They heat the water slow and steady. But i didn't really need to.. the water in the bins takes a long time to change temp so it sunk to 6-7c and didnt seem to affect the ferment.
Obviously these are your ticket for the diacetyl rest, and if you want to brew an ale and you're not allowed to do it inside.
I know this is NOT a new phenomenon in the slightest but worth showing for those who think they havent got the means to lager.
I realised i could do this now i have 4 going at a time, using very little electricity.
I know, i have a problem. At least the first step is admitting it. :rockin:

I'll be going a bit crazier with my lagering technique this winter haha I live by a creek, which during the winter the water will be constant at around 45°f. So I'll just deal up my bucket nice and tight, and tie it off and set it in the creek lol it should keep my temperatures perfect for lagering

I'll be going a bit crazier with my lagering technique this winter haha I live by a creek, which during the winter the water will be constant at around 45°f. So I'll just deal up my bucket nice and tight, and tie it off and set it in the creek lol it should keep my temperatures perfect for lagering
I love this talk - BrewingTravisty - Name by nature. This is what i love about brewing - when people use their environments to brew the beer they love. Just like the old breweries around the world we all love and copy on a daily brewing basis...
But a heads up - If your creek is 45f then so will your Bin filled with water in your brew area will probably be 45F to.
But i love your thinking - you could get 10-20 buckets in a creek.

I plan to do something similar this winter; my garage ambient temperature ranges from 30F - 50 F during our cold months Oct. - March in Long Island, NY. I'm going to place my fermenters in broken refridgerators and use a paint can/ST-1000 system to keep the air in the fridge at 50 F.

By taping up and insulating the ducts from the freezer to the fridge box, the insulated box should retain the correct fermentation temperature for lagers.

Your system is more basic than mine but we both make lagers in the winter months as the air is colder.

Thats why i love winter -
I know so basic right? but i was shocked at how stable the temp stayed. Even in freezing conditions. Probably nowhere near as freezing as NY though. We get down to 23f. Ive been to Toronto so i know how cold NY must get !!! Different story I'm sure.

I love this talk - BrewingTravisty - Name by nature. This is what i love about brewing - when people use their environments to brew the beer they love. Just like the old breweries around the world we all love and copy on a daily brewing basis...
But a heads up - If your creek is 45f then so will your Bin filled with water in your brew area will probably be 45F to.
But i love your thinking - you could get 10-20 buckets in a creek.

It'll probably be closer to 50f when the temps first start dropping. Might try it then! I got the idea actually from a Scottish brewery that ages their beer at the bottom of a lake lol I could definitely easily fit 20 buckets in the creek lol

Back