Cheap Mash Tun question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbuddy

Reaction score
Okay I’ve been bitten by the bug and after 2 extract batches I want to take my brewing to the next level.

I have an old rectangular 48 quart cooler that I was thinking would make a great Mash Tun. But Then I read that if I’m only going to do 5 gallon batches that the grain bed would not be deep enough for proper filtering.

Any thoughts?

I guess you are going to have to upgrade to 10 gallon batches, what a shame.

I used to batch sparge 5 gallon batches in a 48 qt rectangular cooler and it worked just fine. In fact 48 qt is probably the smallest that I would build. Grain bed depth may make a bigger difference if you're planning on fly sparging, but I've never done that.

I just built a new 70 qt mash tun. Here are the instructions, but they should work for any size cooler.

If you plan on batch sparging, the grain bed depth makes very little difference. A 48qt cooler should work great for 5 gallon batches and is big enough that you could do 10 gallons, too.

Ok I just built my MLT using SS mesh from a water supply line and brass for everything else for $20. From reading several post I read today I'm questing using brass.

Did I waste my money?

lustreking said:
I just built a new 70 qt mash tun. Here are the instructions, but they should work for any size cooler.

Thanks for the pictorial Steve! I made a Coleman Extreme Cooler mash tun tonight using your instructions. Should be a big step up from my 5 gallon igloo with a plastic colander false bottom.

Going to take it out on a trial brew this Saturday.

Back