Cheap malt extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
Is there anyplace out there that has DME or even LME cheap? I purchased the stuff for my latest brew the other day and i was approaching 40 bucks at my LHBS. Now dont get me wrong on things like Hops and Yeast i imagine i want to buy them from him, but $13.50 for 3 lbs of DME seems steep. It seemed to even be a generic brand.

I guess its not the money, im pissed at myself for finding yet another hobby that is WAY more expensive than free.:mug:

Why can i not enjoy watching birds or something...wait, i do, while enjoying a delicious home brew.........DAMN IT!

Am i missing a place on the web where 3lbs of DME is like $8.00?

What do you do for a living?Would you accept a lower wage if you boss asked?I'm just pointing out the person the owns the LHBS need s to make a living as well.Thanks to the cost of energy every thing is going up in price.

I've been to at over a dozen LHBS in a few different states and IMO I've found they're all inadequate, because they just can't compare to online suppliers. I use http://morebeer.com/, they have a much bigger selection of always fresh ingredients, cheaper prices than any LHBS, expert advice, and they have free shipping on orders over $59. For example: 3 lbs of DME is $10.50, and 3 lbs of LME is as little as $6.30. They are a super high volume dealer, making it easier to keep prices lower than the LHBS. The only time I use a LHBS is when I need something right away and can't wait to have something shipped.

I certainly am not wanting to cut out my LHBS owner, as i plan to get alot of stuff from him still, but it seems if i can find some thing at half price like the malt extract that would be fiscally irresponsible on my part to pay double just because he is local. now i know i can get hops and yeast about a buck or two cheaper online, that is not enough difference and i will gladly patronize my local guy. Someone said that i can find LME for as little as 6 and DME for as little as 10....that may be worth getting online as at my LHBS i pay 12 for the LME and 14 for the DME. Oh and there is the tax free issue buying it off the net.

Thanks guys for you website suggestions! :mug:

I know this doesn't help, but DME in the UK is even worse. Half a kilo (around a pound) would cost about £3.50, which is something approaching $9!

It's the main reason I went all-grain.

Oh and there is the tax free issue buying it off the net.

Thanks guys for you website suggestions! :mug:[/quote]

I'm with ya there thank God where not getting all the government where paying for.

Actually, this is not always true. My LHBS Is very fresh, large and affordable... it is Midwest Supplies.

Mine is as well. I, fortunately, sound to be one of the few though. I have a choice of a few places.... lets see.... about 5 that I have been to that is in a 90 minute radius. 2 of these just sell homebrew stuff. There is a few more that I have not been to yet. 1 of these place I go to only if I have to. Not that its a quality issue, there are just times that the people there piss me off. So I tend to not go there. The place I go to the most is a liquir store that sells homebrew stuff... a lot of it actually. Everytime I go there, there are folks buying stuff in the hoembrew section so its got a good turn over. The complete homebrew store is a little farther away (and I hear they are moving a littler father later in the Fall as well).

Ubrews will usually sell you bulk LME if you have any in your state. And hops too for that matter. I used to do that beofre going AG, but I still buy hops form them as they have a lower overhead due to the high volume of product that they use. In my town there is no LHBS.

Latest posts

Back