Cheap-ish Brew Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrittenhouse

Reaction score
I am limited on funds especially after a starter kit + the first set of extract ingredients. Are there any certain kinds of containers I can get/use? I am thinking of going to a place such as Odd Lots or somewhere that may have a cheaper brew kettle.

I'm pretty sure that I am also looking for a 4-5 gallon kettle. I am still reading over "The Complete Joy of Home Brewing" as well as "How to Brew".

Thanks everyone!

How big are your two largest stockpots, if you are strapped for cash perhaps you could do a two pot boil.

If you are doing a partial boil w/ a small kettle (s), you might want to check out the "late extract" method.

As far as a cheap stock pot, search around....sorry no great ideas...maybe something used on craigslist or a garage sale would save $$$$.

You might just have two large pots already that could get a batch done, and then search out a boil kettle.

And as stated above, a five gallon pot would be nice for a partial boil, it could be done w/ a three gallon if that is what is available now for free???

Is there a "Dollar General" in your area? I got a 5 gallon SS pot when I started brewing for 10.00. I still use it for stovetop brewing, and for 2.5 gallon All grain test batches.

Is there a "Dollar General" in your area? I got a 5 gallon SS pot when I started brewing for 10.00. I still use it for stovetop brewing, and for 2.5 gallon All grain test batches.

+1 Although not as cheap, I saw a 5 gal pot at a "Big Lots" store for $16. A flea market might net you a pot from a turkey fryer kit for the same money or less, might even get the burner!

Well I went and looked ALL around today and I found a 22qt pot at Walmart but they want $50 for it.

I did however find a 16qt pot for I think $16 or so at Kmart but I have been told that I should have a 20qt.

This is the hardest thing to find!!! I also checked craigslist.

I might just have to sit with this: 5 Gallon Stainless Kettle

I'm going to make a new thread about the starter eqiupment that I'm looking at before I go buy. I'm hearing some conflicting methods and i'm a little lost about plastic vs carboy..etc..

Thanks everyone!

I went to Williamsbrewing and bought their 10 Gal stockpot (with a ball valve) for $100

Sure this is nice for full 5 gallon boils, but it doesnt do jack if I decide to go to 10 gallon batches.

For the price - Its the cheapest Ive found, and its awesome quality for the brewpot!
-Me

For 16 bucks you could have batch 1 in the fermenter...just kidding...but IMO that would git-er-done for a partial boil...no?

For 40 bucks I would look at a 40 qt alum. kettle.

Look around for an enamel pot. i got one at Renys here in New England that was 29.00 for a 32 qt. No boil over for 5 gal batches. Works good on the turkey frier burner. Just don't dent it.

Well I went and looked ALL around today and I found a 22qt pot at Walmart but they want $50 for it.

If you aren't set on stainless you could go with commercial grade aluminum stock pots. Use google and search for Adcraft Aluminum. A quick search shows that you can get a 40 quart for the same 50 bucks. This is the route I went for my 15 gallon kettle which cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of 70 bucks. The Adcraft pots that I have (60 quart and 32 quart) are really heavy duty, with the pot walls about 1/8 inch thick.

Back